PDA

View Full Version : ODBA Modified Production Heads

W. Tripp
09-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Several racers in this class brought to my (and the other officials') attention that heads with removeable billet chambers were being run in Mod Production. These heads have come up in front of the Rules Committee and Board of Directors in the past, and were denied inclusion into the rules for this class. Several racers in this class that, in the past, have been told they could not run this type head wanted the issue resolved.

After talking with the Engine Tech Officer (Dale Carpenter) and a race team who wanted to be allowed to run them, I put a proposal together to get a vote/ruling from the members of the Rules Committee and Board of Directors. Although I am very much against rules changes during the season, I did this in order to support the racers wishing to run this part, and to put this issue to rest in this class in the best way I could find.

After careful diliberation, the Board of Directors and Rules Committee came to the same conclusion - That heads with replaceable chambers from an aftermarket source will still not be allowed in Modified Production for the remainder of the 2003 season. However, this will be an issue of priority for the rules meeting for 2004 to be held at the end of the year.

The only reason I have posted the 'behind the scenes' activity of the ODBA is to show how this issue has been settled in the best way we all know. We do not expect this ruling to be favorable with all members of the association, but we feel that we have done what is best for this class, and the ODBA. If the members of the ODBA would like to change this - or anything with the association (hint, hint....Hydro)- they should feel obligated to come to the end of season banquet and election meeting (soon to be announced). Then they can either run for president, Board of Directors member, Rules Committee member, or lobby for their input.

The ODBA is made up of racers, for racers. Each full racing and associate member of the ODBA should feel that it is their duty to play an active role in the activities of each race and the day to day activities of running the ODBA.

I hope this clears up the issue.

W. Tripp
09-27-2003, 04:59 PM
This ruling concerns Mercury Marine engines only.

OMC/Bombardier and Yamaha engines still can use aftermarket heads in this class.