PDA

View Full Version : Snow tires

DK
09-23-2003, 07:49 PM
I have a 02 dodge 2500 and I'm looking for a set of snow tires something in the 235 85 R16 or 265 75 R 16 range. I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions or experience on what is a good tire.

skidoo29
09-23-2003, 08:26 PM
a good all around tire, actually the best in my opinion are bfgoodrich at's

good for rain, mud snow, I rarely even use my 4 wheel drive in the city no matter how much snow, with them only up in cottage country in the winter.

just my opinion though

warren

gaineso
09-24-2003, 05:55 AM
What are snow tires and what are they used for?

stvhelm
09-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Michelin X gets my vote. we have them our snow plowing trucks.
some of the tire websites have a tire rating system with feedback from customers.

sho305
09-24-2003, 09:06 AM
Don't know if I could buy them now as they are French, but I have these on my car for a couple years now and can't say enough abut them. Even with the rain type tread they go through the snow well and are great dry on this sedan. I think since they were 104 each, they have a better rubber compound and that helps a lot. Look to be wearing very good. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=X-One They make a similiar HD truck tire I looked at. You can feel the rubber and it is sticky.

A friend has all terrains and he plows snow. They work great but I don't know how much life he will get out of them. I was looking at the land terrain with a little closer tread that might last longer on the road. I have a sigma tire that has gone over 60k on my truck, that is a contender too 'cause I need some soon. I just know cheap tires never seem to make me happy, and they wear out fast enough to make them cost close to what good tires would...if I'm keeping the vehicle.

j.iverson
10-01-2003, 11:27 PM
I couldn't be more impressed with my BF Goodrich all terrain ta's. I put 265 75R 16's on and have really been impressed towing snowmobiles and getting across the lakes to ice fish. They seem to work great year round on my 3/4 ton crew cab. I would definately buy them again.

DK
10-02-2003, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys. A lot of people seem to like the BFG's my brother has a set on his truck and even with the tread 3/4 gone they still work good. I'm going to put a set of those on my mom's F150 I'm still unsure on what I'm going to do with my truck I want to get a set of tires to run just in the winter with studs. I'm concidering Nokian Hackapolita or Dunlap Rover R/T. I have had good luck with the Michelin XCX APT on my other truck. They work just as good as Firestone Town and Country in the snow.

j.iverson
10-02-2003, 10:54 AM
Good question with the studs. They don't let us run them in Minnesota, wish they did. The BFG's give the rig that offroad look, without that annoying road hum. The 50k warranty is also a plus. good luck.

mxz
10-02-2003, 10:58 AM
BFG AT's for me too. Had 285's on my old Z71 and now my new ZR2 has 31" BFGs on it. Best tire I have had for all around use.