PDA

View Full Version : Setback&vert ajd.

Scott
04-30-2001, 01:31 PM
First, I just want to thank everyone for their warm welcome. New commers to any sport or hobby often get a cold shoulder by those in the know, bad enough to feel like a rookie but even worse to be treated like one. I've built several street rods but this will be our first "fast" boat and my "rookie" questions have been answered quickly and honestly I thank all at SAF.com for their help. We chose a 77' Baja 15' for our first project boat, it's in need of alot of cosmetic work but has a good solid hull. Thanks Techno for your advice on filling the dings, we uded 3M's Marine grade filler (glass beads) and West systems 105 resin for the pad. We decided not to do to the 10" pad addition for now, we'll see how it flys w/o the added pad. Reading all we could on setback and vertical adjustment and came up with one question? We'll go with CMC's PT-130 to get the tilt & trim as it also will provide 6" of setback but what about vertical adjustment? do you use another "vertical extension" (also would use CMC) in conjunction with the PT-130 to get vert. adj.? It's easy to see the vert. adj. plates in most photos but the T&T is either hidden by the plates or ????? Thanks again to all at SAF.com for helping to make this project a blast. My 7 year old (Nicholas) can't wait for me to get home to work on the boat and the project is moving along faster that I anticipated.

Rickracer
04-30-2001, 01:45 PM
If T&T is available for the motor you have, you'd be better off to try to find the OEM T&T, and use a straight jackplate, unless you need 11" of setback. If you need some images of the CMC PT130 or the ML65, let me know, and I will send you some pics and specs.

WillyT
04-30-2001, 02:46 PM
What engine are you using? I certainly agree with Rickracer that the OEM tilt and trim would be preferable, if available. The CMC unit is limited to 130 horsepower, as I recall, but more importantly, I don't think it was made with "high performance" use in mind (though it may be o.k.). I would also think that it will add more weight than the OEM T&T. Like Rickracer, I question the total amount of setback you will have if you combine that with a jack. A setback of 11" would be fine on a bigger boat, but I would not think you will need/want that much on a 15 footer. I think you should stick with 4"-6" of setback, at least at first, until you see how it handles and runs (unless someone else has run this combination with more setback and can provide you with good specific info). Less setback will also put less stress on the transom and give you more freeboard at the transom when the boat is at rest. I wonder if CMC even "allows" their jack to be added to their tilt and trim? They may not honor their warranty if anything breaks (but you would have to ask them). What you suggest will probably "work" (and maybe even work well!); it just would not be my first choice given the facts at hand. Some type of tilt/trim, as well as height adjustment, will, however, be needed to get the most out of the boat. Let us know which way you go and what the results are.

Scott
04-30-2001, 02:51 PM
I'll look into the OEM availability of T&T, actually we have a 50hp Evinrude to begin with. The project was planned for a Merc, but with some costly upgrades to the interrior to make it just a tad more "family" friendly and add some "show" quality our plans for the bigger Merc have been put off til this time next year, so we'll probably start with the Rude we have on hand. I'm only guessing at the ammount of setback needed to get the heavy Baja on plane.

Thanks Again!!!

Liqui-Fly
04-30-2001, 03:08 PM
You're not gonna see any worthy benefits speed wise adding trim and tilt and a jackplate with the 50 hp motor. Put that money in the mattress and save up for a larger motor before adding accesories. The trim will add to convenience but I personally would wait until more HP was in the books before buying anything else. You'll never get your money back on these purchases either. With what you'll spend you'll be halfway to a used OMC V-4 in the 90 to 140 HP range or perhaps a Mercury 90 HP tower of power or 115 inline 6 cylinder. At this point and time the extra weight of the trim and tilt and jackplate will probably reduce speed rather than add it. Good luck.
David

Techno
04-30-2001, 03:28 PM
Are you sure you don't have trim on your outboard? If you don't I saw a unit that combined trim and jack. I tried finding it in hot boat but couldn't find it.
If you havent checked out the different department on the S&F home page check them out.
http://www.screamandfly.com/screamandfly/setback.htm
http://www.screamandfly.com/screamandfly/images/Departments/Dockboy/setback/setback3.jpg In this picture you can barely see the tilt on the Outboard. It pivots right where the rear steering cable enters. Below this towards the back you can see the pin holes for stopping the amount of trim. Or in your case for setting it. In the picture the OB is in trailer area of trim because the braces are the only thing in the picture(the parts with the pin holes).
Directly under the steering cables is the jack plate, the one with the 3 smaller holes. You can see the plate the OB is mounted on is raised 1" above the jack plate top. Between the jack plate and boat is the setback plate, the one with 3 large holes. This is just for mounting the OB further back.
And if I'm not mistaken this is an STV originally rigged for cable steering. In the checkerboard paint you can see the little clam shell that the cable come out, mine are far more forward than this though so it might be something else.

Liqui-Fly
04-30-2001, 03:33 PM
Calling his Stream and STV. We all know that hull is a Stoker bottom:). David

Techno
04-30-2001, 03:46 PM
Thats what he gets for having something that looks like an STV back(right down to the checkered flag paint job). Besides I added the required "if I'm not mistaken" blurb.

Balzy
04-30-2001, 04:16 PM
#1 - It's not in the trailer position, that's were I run it to keep the bow up on this pig. Just kidding. LOL

#2 - It's a HST, not a STV (Scary Tricycle Vehicle)

#3 - That extra clamshell was for trim or jack plate hoses at one time. Now it is used for my 2.5 trim hoses. There is one on the other side for the jackplate hoses. I do have one extra one on the right side where a steering cable used to be. I converted it to dual opposed steering this year and had to add one to the other side. For some reason, this hull just always seems to want an extra clamshell. Hmmm? Oh well, I'm sure I'll think of something to put in it, maybe some wiring for disco lights so we can do some dancing on the water at Pre-Firewater or the "Run what ya Brung" drags.

Not trying to interrupt your thread Scott, just having fun. Couldn't help it when I saw the ass of my rig here.

BTW, that static setback bracket is a special design by a not so well manufacture of High Perf boating accessories, ME......

Scott
04-30-2001, 08:44 PM
I'll hold onto the cash for now I sure don't want to run that 50 Rude for any longer than I have to. Actually, if I do save the cash we might not have to run it at all. Working with ComCast to get my web site up should have it by this weekend. Thanks Again to All for your help!!