PDA

View Full Version : check88 - what speeds are you getting?

cm21
04-30-2001, 01:17 PM
I have a very similar rig.....21' Starflite/200 merc/trimmed heads/Bob's nose cone/manual jack plate.

I'm running with a 24 Chopper at about 68mph @ 6700 rpm.

What prop are you running? What speed/rpm

My check isn't getting out of the water enough.
Are you getting out enough to experience any chine walking?

I love the boat, but not sure if its worth putting more money and time into a hull without a pad. Any comments?

-Scott

04-30-2001, 04:45 PM
If your transom is good, set that motor back 14" and see how she flys

check88
04-30-2001, 07:22 PM
well ya got a pad on your boat if it is a starflite(tho it is a very narrow v pad)just ahead of the notch.i am currentley running a 26" mazco re3 at about 6k.also got a total of 12" of set back and i'm runnin the centerline of the propshaft about a quarter of an inch below the v pad.my rig was special order by some bigshot here in mich and it came with a light lay up deck (shaves off a hundred to a hundred and a half pounds according to mike)but it's all cracked up due to flexing.i have not had any probs with chine walk since i put on solid motor mounts from bobs.ya should also check that your steering is tight with no slop at all.i am still runnin merc dual cable steering cause i like the way it feels.a torque tab on the skeg will help the torque that you feel in the wheel too-get one from bobs.i love the way my rig runs in 2-3 foot chop,smooth as glass and faster than a lot of my friends with the big block boats.what color is your rig?mine is black with red and white striping,all black bottom.

check88
04-30-2001, 07:28 PM
sorry after re reading your post i see you wanted to know speed.i have never had my rig GPS'ed but a friend of mine who has and runs 77-78 mph in his tunnel can not pull away from me even on a 1-2 mile run so i would guess somwhere in the mid 70's.

cm21
04-30-2001, 10:14 PM
All black with an orange/metal flake stripe. Still looks great! Original upholstery in good shape.

Sounds like I need more setback to get over the 70mph hump.
Only have about six inches now (of setback that is).

check88
05-01-2001, 07:15 AM
yup from what i understand these hulls really need a whole lot of setback to get them to fly the bow.like i said i'm runnin 12" total on mine and i don't think even more would hurt.you do need to make sure that your transom is in good shape before you add more setback.i have heard of people tying the transom into the stringers for more strenghth.i don't think this is neccesary if your transom is in good shape as checkmate made a hell of a strong transom.