PDA

View Full Version : 1992 pontiac convertable w/305TBI

hydrostreamvulture1
08-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Hey people i just got my first car its an 1992 pontiac firebird special edition convertable equipped with an 8 cylinder LO3 block 305 with throttle body injection. Motor makes 170hp and 245LB ft/torque i was curious to know if anyone is familar with these engines and has anyone ever moded them out to make them go fast. People have told me time and time again that this 305 cant really be made into a "real" superstar. I bought the car with an aftermarket exhaust system (not sure what it is) sounds pretty nice tho so im praying the motor makes more then 170hp. All i want to do is beat those annoying ass garbage can exhaust imports SPECIALLY THE ONES WITH THE V-TEC :D I know raceman and skip have some cars that are hot rodded i need some suggestions. Hot Rod magazine did a test on the LO3 block and it ran 15.7's. As of right now here are some of the specs of the car is it weighs 3250 i have BFgoodrich tires (60's), aftermarket exhaust, purolator air filter, a 700R4 tranny, 2.73 rear end and thats about it...i know thats not really equipped for speed but i want to get this car to move into the 14's possibly 13's and IM ALSO ON A VERY TIGHT BUDGET. Some of the things i want to include if i had the money is a nice set of torquer headers, K&N cold air induction kit, Ram Air hood, Hi Po heads, 3.73 gears, and also a 670MM throttle body. I should have pics of my real car soon but for now i found an look alike heres a pic...my car also has the classic firebird decal on the hood, pontiac racing decal across the windshield and of course a bra on the front.

Jason Huber
08-26-2003, 10:05 PM
IMO - even on a limited budget you are still miles ahead going forward with the 350. That whole "no substitute for cubic inches" thing is no more true than in small block Chev motors. Save up and buy a crate motor, or find a builder & gather the parts as you go - either way you'll be better off in the long run. Good luck!
;)

Boaterbum
08-27-2003, 12:38 PM
I couldn't agree more with Jason, 'No Replacement for Displacment"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cubic Inches with a heavy car like that is the only way to go....
with the cost that it would run you to make all the mods to that engine, you could drop inn a stroker motor and be done with the lil' guy!!!!!! I build a stroker 350 (bored and stroked) 392ci or somewhere close to that, put it in my tank ass truck, but, she builds ALOT of torque, and in a car, would be a friggin rocket! And I did a mild build, 9.6/1 compression, torque Cam, pretty much duplicated the GM Crate HT 383. BUT, you'd be surprised what you could build one for, depending on your mechanical ability. I got my block and crank for DIRT CHEAP from a friend, 350ci blocks are a dime a dozen, there everywhere.
I would have to add it all up, but, I know I have less than $1500.00 tied into the engine build, and I figure around 330hp, and like 425-430lb of torque..... Reliable as hell too!
Anyway, again, depends on where you sit with mechanical ability, but, that would be your best bet...
As for the imports?? V-Tec? Hmmm, GOOD LUCK, they don't wiegh ****, and anytime you can squeeze 250-300 horses out of a screaming 4 banger, well, you have a helluva quick car! You wanna shoot for them, well, you will need to go blown (thats my next build, BLOWER MOTOR!) and maybe even NOS.... Man, I have drivin a few imports, and they friggin fly! I raced one at the drag strip, I have a build up Kawisaki ZX9-R, and I got spanked, and that was a nearly street legal car!!!!!!!!!!! NOS, TURBO, ECT ECT..... Unreal..... Anyway, hope that at least got the gears turning in the noggin there, let us know how ya do with her....
She is a nice lookin' car though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scream And Fly
08-28-2003, 10:07 AM
Personally, I would leave the car the way it is. Put a nice cat-back exhaust on it and enjoy the sound and reliability. It's not a hot rod, but it will sound cool and leave some rubber when you need it to.

- or -

The 305 can make power, but with the same mods, a 350 will produce more HP and torque. If you really, really want to go fast with a mininum of work, find a wrecked late 86-92 Camaro or Firebird with the L98 5.7 TPI and buy the entire engine and computer with the harness. It's a very easy (and inexpensive) swap. I've done it myself to friend's cars. Your car already has the 700R4 trans, which can handle 300+ HP in stock form.
You can find the same engine in an 85-91 Corvette, but there will be differences in the harness and exhaust, etc.
We purchased a complete 5.7 liter TPI engine from an 88 Z28 with 45K miles on it for $525. Not bad at all.

Greg

eautosales
08-30-2003, 02:41 PM
i agree with greg get a junk yard 350 tpi
& ditch that rear end at the same time

mr.clean
08-30-2003, 03:34 PM
those motors are pigs and if you put a big hp. motor in that car you`ll get hurt.just drive it and enjoy:cool: if you want to get the fast and furious guys:o 80`s mustang is the best low buck hotrod;)

ShorePounder
08-30-2003, 09:23 PM
My Pappy always tole me. Never make a toy out of yer daily driver and never make a daily driver out of yer toy.

Like Mr. Screamandfly hisself tole ya. Reliability is the number one performance aspect of your daily driver. Remember dude, you're gonna be driving back and forth to school in Orlando from Davenport( from the Latin word meaning "Middle of an orange grove in BFE) :D :D Those 2.73's, while killing your take off, will allow your gas gauge to stay on the good side of 'E' alot longer.

Its your car and do what ya want, there's not much you can't do with an F-body. I'm just looking from the practical point of view.

Capt.Insane-o
08-31-2003, 03:12 PM
I don't know how your local emission laws are buuut what boater bum has goin on is right on the money. Simple ,cheap and easy to maintain. As far as weight, I don't know where you got that info, but your looking at at LEAST 3520 pds. The convertables have a bad chassis flex with any appreciable horsepower, and benifit greatly from having the subframes tied together. The 700 r4 has a pretty low first gear ratio, but switching to the 3.42-3.55 area has a pretty dramatic effect. On top of this getting a energy suspension bushing kit for the entire suspension is mandatory in those cars.
If your lacking the resources to have a motor pulled and r/r'd. edelbrock has a cam/lifter/manifold kit for that motor, get a set of decent headers. Hopefull you have the flowmaster kit on your car already. A call to a chip manufacturer with your enging info is easy (Hypertech) to net a prom that still leaves you in green mode.:eek:

Scream And Fly
08-31-2003, 05:56 PM
And, after you get the L98 350 in there....

Rickracer
08-31-2003, 09:40 PM
If I can help, let me know. :cool:

eautosales
08-31-2003, 09:44 PM
WHO NEEDS TO GO FAST IN A RAG TOP:D
JUST GET RIMS & LOOK COOL

mr.clean
08-31-2003, 09:50 PM
1/4 mile:cool:

Scream And Fly
08-31-2003, 10:01 PM
Clean, that's a nice Stang. Do you still have it? What mods have you done to it?

Greg

eautosales
08-31-2003, 10:01 PM
13 SEC WAGON

mr.clean
08-31-2003, 10:08 PM
usual stuff;) 3 in. exhaust,intake,twisted wedge heads,cam,shift kit,lowered 3in.,373 gears,and some other little goodies:D let my freind drive it:eek: ONE WAY TICKET TO THE JUNKYARD:mad:

GP-1
09-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Fast and cheap are usually not compatible with each other, but if you're not gonna abuse it too much the gears (3.73's) and a small shot of nitrous (50-75 hp) would make a significant difference in the car....... all for less that 1G..