PDA

View Full Version : Jack plate installation Q

tombrown
04-29-2001, 10:35 PM
I'm installing a 5.5" jack plate (CMC Power-Lift) on my old Glastron CVX-16. My motor is old too, it is a 1977 - Mercury 1500. My question is, how should I handle the steering? I can't extend the steering arm very far because I need to be able to tilt the engine for trailering. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Arizona Hotboater
04-30-2001, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure I understand the way its setup now. I take it you dont have the steering cable running thru the tilt tube? I had a few boats with old v-4's and inline 6's that had a bracket mounted to the transom. That wont work with a setback plate unless you get a long drag link. Got a digital camera? or a scanner? Let me know if you can e-mail a photo. I should be able to come up with a solution.
Marc AZH

Rickracer
04-30-2001, 12:06 PM
Hi Tom, I take it you have/had splashwell mounted steering like my C-500 had when I got it. You'll need to get a longer steering cable and go to tilt tube mounted steering. You'll also need a libnk arm. I just brought my cable out centered above the "swim step" with a cable boot, and made a thin aluminum block off where the original cable came out. I think you can see that if you still have the pics I sent you. Let me know if I can help ya.

tombrown
04-30-2001, 03:32 PM
Thanks AH. I ended up calling Rick and he is going to fix me up with the steering linkage arm to convert my steering to torque tube steering. My cable is plenty long enough to get the job done. I suppose that last sentence could be interpreted in a couple of ways and I like to think it's valid both ways. :-)

I plan on taking quite a few pictures of the installation and modifications that I do. They will probably end up being posted over on the Classic Glastron Owner's Association site. I'll leave a note here in case anyone is interested but I doubt that there are many people running old gear like mine that hang out here.

Thanks for the help AH and thanks Rick for bailing me out again...

Tom Brown