PDA

View Full Version : paint question?

vtrocket
07-13-2003, 04:09 PM
i just got done painting my boat and it is not as shiney as i would like it to be and was wondering if you clear over a single stage paint , i was thinking this might make it shine more.

ShipBear
07-13-2003, 08:55 PM
What kind of paint did you use..??
Have you color sanded it..??
With most paints there's ALOT more then just laying the paint on..

Tell us what you used, etc..
Do you have any pictures you can post..?

Later Larry

vector mike
07-15-2003, 03:01 PM
I do it all the time. However, have you wet sanded and buffed out the paint that you have now? That might be all you need to do. Use 1200 then 1500 wet/dry sandpaper. Then use 3M Imperial Microfinishing Compound-Liquid then 3M Finesse-it II Finishing Material Liquid. That is how I do it and it works great. I have painted over all types of paint with polyurethane clear especially when I do the metal flake thing. Works great too. Just be sure to have a rough surface before coating. I use the green scotch brite pads for the light sanding and 220 wet/dry paper for the more aggresive finish.

vector mike
07-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Be sure you wet sand the paint before you buff it with both papers. The only problem I ever had when clearcoating is with my own BP cowling. I guess whoever had it before me used Armor All on it and it soaked into the plastic. The paint wouldn't even stick to it a little bit untill I washed it all down with laquer thinner. The thinner actually melts the plastic a little bit . It worked but wouldn't recomend it for anybody else to do.

vtrocket
07-15-2003, 09:00 PM
thanks for the info vector mike ill give it a try and see hoe it turns out.