PDA

View Full Version : refurbishing

33evenrude ski-twin
07-12-2003, 10:41 PM
How to strip old paint off, the fiberglass on a repainted boat. So i can get down to the gellcoat.

Reese
07-13-2003, 11:04 PM
you'll be better off machine sanding. Even if you do use a stripper you'll have to sand in the end...your call.

Techno
07-14-2003, 08:49 PM
A razor blade held in a razor scraper. It either works like magic or don't work at all.
If the paint is thick and brittle it shatters it off as fast as you swipe your hand.
It doesn't actually scrape it off but shatters it similar to a key job on the paint. Give it a few tries since it is an incredibly fast remover.
I did my whole Vette this way except both doors. For some reason it didn't work.
Tried it on my Caddy but it didn't work.

sho305
07-21-2003, 10:51 AM
The expensive way is plastic media blasting. Grinder and sander the cheap way. Razor blades the lucky fast way;) Glass is difficult because it is softer than the gel with the fibers in it. Softer to a grinder anyway so you have to be carfeful but it is not difficult. Just slow and dirty. Try to keep it smooth so you don't have to block it a lot before your new finish.

There are fiberglass strippers, but you have to be careful with them. Even they can soften the glass up and tend to not work well most of the time.