PDA

View Full Version : How do I fill in my motor well?

Air Dog
07-11-2003, 01:52 PM
I want to put a bracket on my boat to make more room in my cockpit.

Just curious if anybody has ever attempted to fill in their outboard motor well?

What kind of problems did you run into, and how long did it take.

What is the best way to attatck such a job? Just slap a piece of wood in there and glass over it with west system?

Thanks in advance...

Chris

ncst8er
07-11-2003, 10:33 PM
in his thread on transom replacement ("http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24188"). It's actually a great thread to check out as he documented what he did really well. It's a long thread, but there's a lot of info. He only filled it in enough to eliminate the well, but the methodology would work for completely eliminating it as well.

Techno
07-12-2003, 08:55 AM
I think the first thing to do is figure out a shape for the "patch". Draw it or mock it up with something simple just to give an idea. Cardboard or whatever come to hand.
From there you cut out and install.
If flat works and looks good thats simple. But if it needs to be curved go the exta foot and do it that way. My opinion is after it's done if it looks bad, and you'll notice it every time you look at it, you'll kick yourself. If done nicer you'll always point it out.
Looky there, I made that!

If curved in 1 direction you can use some thin wood with a nice surface and use that as a backer. I did this on my dash but laminated from the outside in. Gelcoat first. The surface came out finished and the right arc.
This would be harder to do upside down under a transom well area though. May be worth it to do it glass first and finish with gel so your working on the outside with horizontal surface.

The board I used was called "white board" and had a plastic surface. It was stuck on the outside since the fix was done under the dash. Used mold release and painted the gel on it, then laminated. Like I said, under the dash not in the cockpit.
The old swiss cheese dash is taped over the new one for comparision. The ends I had a problem fitting so gave up and will fill later on the front.
Turned out to be a pretty nice technique. This area is a hard one to sand from the front and I eliminated all that with a bit more lam work laying on my back.