PDA

View Full Version : New props

LaveyT
04-28-2001, 06:38 PM
Other than some technical problems prop testing went well.(see tech board).Im running a Lavey Mod VP with a 225 H.O. I usually run a 28 Raker with a bone stock lowerunit.This nets 83mph at 6000-6100 rpm on the GPS.I ran a 30" raker that was machining my lowerunit at 80.8 at 5500-5600 rpm.Didnt even make the powerband!Then I ran a 26 Raker to 6200-6250 RPM.(all the H.O. wants to rev.Carbs Im told).But what a differnce!The Lavey was hard to handle,I actually had to Steer!What a Blast, the rear end even got loose!Maybe with a Hydromotive nose cone and a large ear Chopper will give me the Scary handling I miss.It reminded me of the Ol Hydrostream YT.Im begining to think if 85mph is the max I can get with a stock motor,Maybe the hot set up would be a boat mounted low water pickup with a stock lowerunit for Bow lift??

Sleekster
04-28-2001, 07:09 PM
Dave, thank you for the post. I'd like to think I might get near what you are doing with the Lavey. Probably aa little less b/c of teh weight thing. AND I was thinking now that I have an open bow, hot boating was over.

I was surprised at only a 100-200 rpm difference between the 26 and the 28 Rakers. Are they both stock? Shouldn't the 26 have spun quicker than that? My 28 Raker is stock other than openning the vent holes to 1/2". Should have gone to 3/8" and stopped there.

You mentioned before you have some thoughts about nose cones on heavier hulls like mine, but I don't remember what the opinion was. Is that why you mentioned transom water p/u and stock case?

The H.O. has mo power, is that why you can spin the 28 on the Lavey?

LaveyT
04-28-2001, 08:28 PM
I believe nosecones are the root of all Evil on any boat that is goin under 85mph that needs Bowlift.That is if you can get by without blowout.You already have a Bow cover rite?I duct taped some Heavey cardboard over my Y.T.s open bow one winter day and ran 2mph faster with it.The boat also got full lift much faster.If your boat is light everyone knows what to do.After you have installed cones and lost speed twice you learn your lesson.I want to sell my Merc lowerunit and buy an OMC lowerunit to Tinker with.
That way if I lose speed I can just remove the sucker!The Lavey had 13to16% slip at 94.4mph with Fast Eddies motor.The boat just would not free up with the light motor and the Bobs cone.If I could have gotton the slippage down 100mph was well within reach.As far as the 26" not turning any higher I have been told the motor needs carbs like yours to rev higher.A Mirage with a 26 Raker(225 HO) will turn 6300,with a 28 6300,The H.O. just wont rev any higher,A bummer since the 26 runs so well every where else.Thats gona limit my acceleration because im gonna have to run the 28 for top end.Ya just cant have it all Mr.Bowrider:)

Sleekster
04-29-2001, 07:07 AM
Dave,

Isn't prop slippage due in part to wetted surface of the boat? If so, then what about adding the transom mounted water p/u and a torpedo nose cone? I had one on the 235 and the V-King. I could fly the bow anywhere. Now I know the 'Stream is a lot lighter, but even after I switched to the looper, I couldn't fly the bow the same way. The down force on the top of the torpedo must have been tremendous.

I'd be interested in experimenting with you. I'd have some preparing to do. The '96 lower has a shortened (broken) skeg. After reading the posts from the Merc guys, a fixed skeg sounds not so good. Do you know if there is a difference between the Merc and OMC skeg repairs? Metal is metal right? (Did that get you going?) The other 2 lowers need shorter shafts, but I'm working on that.

PROPS
I really liked the Laser II 26p for a boat load. I guess b/c of the smaller diameter it had great punch in the low and mid ranges. Is that the same as what you had w/ the 26p Raker? I used one once and hated it. BUT, it had been reworked/fixed from the same shop that butchered my 30p Quicksilver chopper.

I get what you are saying about the cover-the-big-hole-up-front thing. Areodynamic forces limit prop efficiency as well, or should I just say efficiency. So what about experimenting with windshield angles to better manage the air behind the driver? Or are the potential gains not worth the time? Would a cockpit cover also help?

What? Can't have it all? I guess you're right.

LaveyT
04-29-2001, 11:04 AM
I have a 26" laser two that I have never run,ever.Eddie gave it to me with the Lavey.Guess I might have to try it!If you could get a 20" lower together I would probly buy it,or pay half to get a Hydromotive installed just for the chance to try it!The cockpit covers make a difference especially with our Big Cock...pits.The original owner put a cover on the Lavey with the G-Force,stripped the Interior and got it in the 11 second range.Im goin boatin,Later