PDA

View Full Version : POS Ford Explorer

Psyco
07-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Why does it run hot? Could the fan clucth be going south? How do I tell? It's a '97 w/100k+ miles,4.0 SOHC v-6. Already changed thermo and flushed radiator. No leaks in cooling system.

toyomirage02
07-15-2003, 11:47 PM
dont you mean ford exploder?? just jokin

delawarerick
07-16-2003, 08:03 AM
Check the headgasket and remember the radiator has plastic passages and they can melt. Also check the fan switch turn air on and see if the fan inastantly engages. Good luck it took about 1200 dollars worth of parts on our ford. Rick out
IF you gonna tow with it put a trans cooler on if already not there.

Psyco
07-16-2003, 11:16 PM
It's gotta leak somewhere. No visible water leaking on pavement or coolant smell in cabin. Been checking water every day, and it needs more. No oil in coolant and vice versa. POS!!!! I'm going buy my wife a Dodge. At least when they do break, the average Schmo can work on them.

Oh,yea. It's got a trans cooler,but doesn't come prewired from the factory for the trailer light connection. Ya gotta by a $65 modulite kit to install on it that takes away from time with my boat versus the $14 plug that goes on the prewired trucks. JUNKY ass ford.

Trying to talk wife into a Tahoe,Yukon,or Dodge Mini Van. Welcome to suburbanite hell.:eek:

delawarerick
07-17-2003, 06:23 AM
Check down by timing cover in the front have seen them leak there but you would have somthing on the ground. We have had 3 fords in a row they last 100,000 and then start falling to sh$t. Rick

Sutphen115
07-17-2003, 09:11 PM
When does it overheat. If it's overheating when the car is not moving then it will most likely be your cooling fan. Your truck should have an electric cooling fan let your truck warm up and if the cooling fan doesn't come on that should be your problem. If it isn't have your radiator pressure tested and have your radiator cap tested. Try these couple of things if you haven't already.

pyro
07-18-2003, 07:54 AM
Their newest lins of SUV's
Ford Exploder
Ford Extinction (if everybody drives one, we'll all be extinct soon)
Ford Expenditure

"Everything you pour into 'em runs out of 'em.
Everything you pour onto 'em runs into 'em."

Quote by a Ford prototype engineer a while back...

Psyco
01-17-2004, 12:04 AM
$5000.00 97 XLT 4.0ltr SOHC V6, leather,p/w,front and rear A/C,factory running boards,rear defrost,CD player,power seats,roof rack,alloy wheels. Needs sending unit in tank for gas gauge to work and windshield (been getting inspection with crack for 3 years).
The problem with the overheat made itself known to my wife while on the interstate between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. The ^&%(%$#% wires came loose from the transmission shift indicator and played havoc with the gauges not to mention leaving her stranded in rush hour traffic in BFE.

So for Christmas Wife #1 got a 2003 Dodge Durange SLT with a 360 ci Magnum V8. The first thing she asked was,"What's that rumbling noise?" I said,"Baby,that's power.....pure unadulterated American V8 power." And so she loved me.:D

Rickracer
01-17-2004, 12:10 AM
...across the bi-metalic strip on the front of the fan clutch, and look at the back of the hub where the shaft goes into it. If there is oil or oil residue in either place the fan clutch is going south. And when you go to buy one, make sure the pimpley faced kid at D*scount Auto doesn't give you a centrifugal clutch, you want a thermal, like the OEM one. :cool:

Psyco
01-17-2004, 12:17 AM
Weed my wass poss,Wickwasa.It wah da mutter frukkin wireses at da trasmishun swiff indwikator. Da krap fwell out. Therefoe da gages wus frukked ups an da POS no go no mo. $95 to wepare an $135 to toe. Bye,bye fode.:D No actual pwoblim wiff coowing sistum. Junky ewektrcall,Fode kwality pots and swerviss.

Have you driven a Ford lately? BBBBWWWWAAAAHHHAAAAHHHHHAAAAA!LMFAO.....

Rickracer
01-17-2004, 12:35 AM
I shouldn't complain, I earn lots of groceries fixin stuff Ford didn't do right when they built em. :D :D :D

baja200merk
01-17-2004, 12:45 AM
powerstroke!!!:D :D

dads started today in 3* wit a wind shill well b low 0

sounded alot like running on a flat tire at 45mph

the thing must have been runnin on 2cyls if that but warmed rite up gotta luv it!

Psyco
01-17-2004, 12:49 AM
I'd rather be Cummins than Stroking!!!!!!:D

How many injectors have you changed on the Power Joke?:eek:

baja200merk
01-17-2004, 12:57 AM
cummins r weak ;) ;)

injectors 0

97 f-350 5spd 145k
put gas and go oh wiat diesel and go:D ;)

oh h/o at 120k we put an alternator in it and an airfilter

we drive the truck on the beach almost every day and have spun it at 4k (dough nuts, 4wheel burnouts:D and soo onnn..) numerous times w/o a problem ;) :confused:

Laker
01-17-2004, 02:31 AM
Why did you buy a Freakin vehicle that was union built and Democratic supported!??? Dont you know unions build junk!? Dont you understand the democrats are not to be trusted because they suppor the unions?
Buy a Kia and be happy

Psyco
01-17-2004, 05:56 PM
I bet your'e a popular guy up there in Wisconsin. Aren't the brewery's a union workplace? Plus,parts of my vehicles were built with cheap and unquestioning Mexican labor.
It's been a while since I've been up your way,but as I remember,it was a pretty union liking place.

Laker
01-17-2004, 08:00 PM
some unions yes...
lots of unions going bust too.
just like the democratic party.. people are learning around here they are not to be trusted and with the Huge taxes and constantly loosing our rights... :rolleyes:
most of the brewerys are going away. Many reasons but the unions dont help that one either.:rolleyes:

Hydrovector
03-26-2004, 02:56 PM
We have had only a couple of problems with it over the years. It's been great hauling the boat. Maybe the 5.0 is better than the 4.0. there are over 120,000 miles on it now.
being it all wheel drive the gas milage is'nt the best but the boat isn't any better!!!:D