PDA

View Full Version : GMC Yukon XL Denali

Papallison
08-23-2001, 10:58 AM
The wife is wanting a new vehicle, says instead of a car that she wants something that can also tow our "hobbies". She is talking about a GMC Yukon Denali XL, the specs on it look impressive but I wanted to know if anyone out there had any experience (good or bad) with these.....especially before she gets her heart and mind set on it...sometimes with these women the hearts lead the minds....

Jeff
08-23-2001, 02:57 PM
I have a Chev Tahoe, the equivalent of the Yukon, but not as high end as the Denali. Mine also is not the extended version which I believe is the XL designation.

I love mine. Had it since last Christmas...great in the snow (if you have any!). Gas mileage stinks though, and I only have the 5.3 litre V8 - not the 5.7.

Sound system is great, heated seats are really nice. Pulling power is terrific. It's a truck that rides like a car. Really comfy. With the 3rd row seats you can handle 8 people, but I typically have them out unless I need them so that my cargo space is larger.

Love it!

Papallison
08-23-2001, 03:13 PM
Ohhh man, you're not helping me any, my wife will want one for sure now!!!!! But they do sound like a good vehicle to have. No, we don't have snow, but we'll be ready if and when we do!!!!! Thanks for the info.

Raceman
08-23-2001, 05:18 PM
We've got a 99 Denali with about 45K miles and it's been a pretty good vehicle. I would say we'd been pleased with it if the local dealer's service department, who are the biggest bunch of idiots I've ever dealt with hadn't turned minor problems into major service visits. Example: (1)Door locks that would start locking continuously when it rained to the point the battery would have to be disconnected when parked. I'm talking sitting in the driveway with the key off and continuous click, click, click. Solution: 21 days in service department sitting with dash out. GMC's customer service offered that they'd have the dealer reinstall the dash and we could pick it up and drive it until the tech rep had a chance to get back by. Said he'd looked at it but wasn't sure what was wrong and wouldn't be back in the area for approx 2 wks. This was after they'd had it for about 10 days. (2)Daytime running lights wouldn't change over to night lights automatically, then got where there was no capability to switch to bright either on auto or manual on. Solution: Another week in service department. When picked up problem not fixed, repair order said "could not duplicate customer complaint". I said "walk out and turn on the F***in' headlights". Service manager, "hmmmm, they don't burn do they?" In service department several more days. (3) Transmission began to shift so hard, it felt like the harshest shift kit in a turbo 400, would absolutely chirp the tires when it went into second at normal driving speeds. Solution: returned vehicle, service repair ticket marked "normal". Finally fixed after 3rd complaint. So basically, here's what I'm saying, we've basically been pleased with the vehicle, good ride, nice interior, decent mileage for relatively big and 4WD, but GMC's handling of the service problems through a totally incompetent local dealer and a customer service department which seems to serve absolutely no purpose than holding the phone to their ear (or possibly laying it on the desk and walking off) while irate customers blow off steam has soured our satisfaction with it. I'm told that that GM's customer service departments are not even GM employees, but rather hired contractors that can do very little other than call the dealer and say "hey, you've got a pissed off customer". I don't know if that's true or not but they did absolutely nothing for us, and they, as well as the dealer refused any loaner or rental car assistance during this time, which Chrysler has always offered when my Dodge truck or Viper has been in for service, even minor stuff. I've also got a 2000 Z71 GMC and hesitate to take it to the dealer for outstanding warranty recalls for the same reasons. Perhaps with decent service we'd give it a B+ or A-, but because of the experiences, especially with the customer service reps, it'd have to be a C or C-. As a side note, to prove what an idiot I am, the old woman decided she wanted a custom van to haul our dogs around in. Bought guess what? GMC Savannah, used at GMAC repo sale, 2000, still under warranty. Riding down the road, the radio goes off. Open and close right front door it'll come back on. Not even considering taking it to the dealer....I don't think they'd have a chance in hell of finding it, probably'd take the dash out and keep it six months. So in a couple a years I'll have a used custom van for sale, low miles, a little dog hair inside, right door hinges worn out.

Jrocket
08-23-2001, 07:02 PM
That story got me laughing,got the door hinges in the mail for ya.Good luck...........

Barney
08-24-2001, 03:23 AM
Blacked out, Bose stereo, leather, nice rig. Get way more action in the boat though :D

Had it two years, 35K, done nothing but pump gas. Has performed flawlessly.

Sorry, I almost forgot my picture for you Raceman!

http://www.gibbleguts.com/graphics/crackexit.gif

[Edited by Barney on 08-24-2001 at 03:28 AM]

Raceman
08-24-2001, 05:42 AM
Hey, that's the same guy that was workin' on my doorlocks. Now if I could just figure out who the chick in the orange is. Wonder if she likes old fat guys.

Jeff
08-24-2001, 07:07 AM
Raceman, your story killed me! I only have about 12k miles on my Tahoe, so maybe my problems are still to come. I have had only one problem with mine, the cargo door needs to be really slammed to get the security light off - otherwise it says "Cargo door ajar". Sure it is just something in the switch, 'cause the door is closed fine.

Papallison
08-24-2001, 08:14 AM
Guys, I can't remember when I've laughed so hard!!! Wife is still laughing, worried about the radio problem the most, she says she knows for sure that if we're driving and she has to open her door, I'll push her out for sure!!! I wouldn't do that, I'd just have to begin training on another one and just got her broke in....Now with regards to the lady in orange, she either got lost on her way to work at Hooters or she is a big, big Tennesse Vols fan!!! I think we need to start a club, Fat,Dumb and Happy!!!!!

Jay Smith
08-24-2001, 08:19 PM
Lance,
Just bought a new Suburban and we love it LT loaded put 17" Boyde Coddinton wheels and dropped it also put grafics on it very cool lookin. Took it to New Mexico last week and got over 20 MPG. Drove the Tahoes and Denalis and liked the Suburban ride much better !You'll see it in Jasper!
Just our opinion!
PS how did you like your Birthday present I sent you ?

Jay @ JSRE

Papallison
08-27-2001, 12:22 PM
Jay, I always heard the memory was the first thing to go,or maybe the 2nd, I can't remember and evidently you sure as h--l can't either...we had a telephone conversation about that....loved it, couldn't you have put a ribbon around it??? Can't wait to see what kind of ribbing we get from this post!!!! See ya in Jasper...why don't ya come to Plymouth?????

Unloaded Racing
09-29-2001, 09:24 AM
I had a Silverado Stepside, The day I bought it I didn't get home from the dealer with it. I messed with the dealer I bought it from for 6-7 months with many problems. I walked in to the dealership to pick it up for the 10000th time and was rasing hell cause it still wasn't fixed. As I started out the back door to leave there was a little old man leaning against the garage door laughing his butt off. I asked him what he thought was so funny, he simply replied "You aint read your owners manual". You can guess the conversation that came after that. All the time the little old man was laughing at me. I was mad so I went grabbed the owners manual and shoved it in his face and pointed to the Customer Service Number. He laughed even harder, took the manual turned the page and pointed to the Better Bussiness phone number. I called them and They told me a little know fact. If its a vehicle you bought new and in the first year you take it to the dealer 3 times for the same problem without it being fixed or the vehicle is out of service for a 30 day period The manufacturer has to buy it back Under the Lemmon Law. 6 weeks after I called the BBB I had a check from GM for the complete purchase price plus tax title and Lisc. So after all this was over I was real glad the little ole man had pissed me off.

Tim