PDA

View Full Version : Non-skid material...

Reese
07-03-2003, 01:13 PM
I've decided not to upholster the rear deck area...will be clear coated and very slick.

I don't particularly like the non-slip additives especailly because they seem to really collect dirt...

Have a few ideas that might work:

1. Resin up some heavy cloth or roving and just use enough resin to leave the pattern intact...cut this flat sheet into a nice pattern and glue onto the deck...the pattern might be enough to allow some degree of non-slip.

2. Cut out a nice pattern for a rubber sheet and glue like above...might get really hot in the summer.

3. Tape off an area and apply some thickened resin with a squirt bottle to create a splatter effect then paint over it.

4. Add that non-slip stuff to the paint...really not sure I like that idea.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Reese
07-03-2003, 01:17 PM
don't need it all to be non-slip just enough so people don't fall on their asses...:D

HOT H2O
07-03-2003, 02:27 PM
we glassed an old wooden fishing boat we had and it was slick as "deer guts on a doorknob".so we mixed up some more glass put a thin layer everywhere we would be standing..and sprinkled white clean aquarium sand on it....when it dryed it was rough...enough so you wouldnt slip in wet weather......it didnt look bad...you couldnt see the sand....but it was better than that stick on anti shid stuff......

Techno
07-03-2003, 03:10 PM
I was going to mention the stick on antiskid sheets. You can always remove them if you don't like it and can cut it into a design or whatever.
Rubber won't be a non slip surface if it's wet. You could get 2 part molding rubber and put that on but would be slippery when wet.
On my sponson decks where I'll have to stand while refueling I figure a rubber bottomed welcome mat will give me non slip and protect the clear coat. This mat thing might be enough for your use?

HOT H2O
07-03-2003, 04:06 PM
What about a bathtub mat....the kind that uses suction to attach......you remove it easy..once people were in the boat and lay it out when people are loading in and out...and they come in colors,,,,,,

Reese
07-09-2003, 06:18 PM
decided to use microballoons added to the base paint then clear coat...I've been told that the microballoons are much less gritty than most other types non-slip additives and should look pretty nice when clear coated. Plan to tape off a nice pattern over the deck area (maybe bow lid as well), spray color base paint, spray color base paint with microballoons then clear coat.

Will keep you posted...

SteveO
07-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Reese,
I basically did what you described in #1 above. 6 oz square weave cloth, just enough epoxy to wet it out. Don't fill the weave. Works great.

TTriton
07-10-2003, 10:41 PM
not sure what it is called but I can ask my fiberglass supplier but I have seen a vynal material that has the texture like you see in production boats.. You spread on a mixture of thickend gelcoat then you place this material over the area and bubble roll over the area. Letting it harden you pull off the vynil matt and you are left with a factory look.

TTriton
07-10-2003, 11:00 PM
i was bored and did a search for the product.. I found a detailed info on this site

http://www.minicraft.com/Retail/Gibco/LAInst01.htm

It is called Gibco Flex-Mold

Hope this helps

TTriton
07-10-2003, 11:01 PM
has some better pics of the texture that I'm talking about..

https://www.minicraft.com/retail/gibco/SRInst01.htm

Reese
07-11-2003, 12:08 PM
SteveO...tried tried wetting out some roving this weekend and although it turned out okay my technique needs some improvement. I'm gonna mix up some microballoons to see what kind of surface finish I can get.

TTriton, very interesting product, and the pattern is what I see on many boat decks.

The funny thing is that I went to home depot to pick up some plastic florecent light covers, you know those 2 x 4 plastic sheets that go under the lights. Well these sheets have a very similar diamond pattern that you've mentioned and I was thinking of applying a release agent or wax and doing something similar to Gibco. I have a feeling the Gibco has a better process all around...thanks for the info.

sho305
07-12-2003, 12:03 AM
This may not be what you want here, but a friend of mine was telling me about a guy doing spray on truck bedliners. The guy will do house roofs now with the stuff in many colors. He will spray about anything with it. Could have a place in a boat I think.:)