PDA

View Full Version : Help-can I Grind Away Some Of Floor

liberatorx2
07-01-2003, 08:07 PM
HAVE 2002 LIBERATOR SKI RACER. COPY OF A MIRAGE. BOAT IS WAY TO HEAVY. FULLY RIGGED W/2.5 260-5gal. GAS & NO DRIVER 1740 LBS. IV'E GOT IT DOWN TO 1660 NOW. THE GLASS & RESIN SEEMS EXTREMELY THICK ON FLOOR OF THIS BOAT. CAN I GRIND 1/2 INCH OR SO LAYER OF THIS GLASS FROM THE FLOOR & SHOP VAC IT OUT. I'M DETERMINED TO REMOVE WEIGHT SOMEWHERE. DONT PLAN TO TOUCH TRANSOM OR STRINGERS. THIS BOAT IS SOLID AS A TANK-- I WEIGH 210+ & ICAN RUN UP & DOWN THE SIDES OF THIS BOAT! PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE. IGOT TO GET SOME WEIGHT OUT. THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE....RICK MOORE

liberatorx2
07-01-2003, 09:30 PM
AFTER COMING BACK INSIDE & READING MY OWN THREAD , IT SOUNDS LIKE DESPERATION. FACT IS THE DAMN BOAT IS TOO HEAVY. GUESS I 'LL HAVE ME A PRETTY GOOD WINTER PROJECT, HUH ? ANYWAY, IF ANYONE HAS SUGGESTIONS FOR LITENING UP THIS.....LET ME HEAR EM....THANKS RICK

Liqui-Fly
07-02-2003, 08:37 AM
Change over to a different floor. Either a laminated foam composit or use something like okume marine plywood with epoxy or urethane over the top. The weight savings as compared to regular plywood is pretty big.

David

Techno
07-02-2003, 03:12 PM
My foam floor 4x7 which is bigger than the ply floor I removed came in about half the weight around 20 lbs.
Foam has it's own problems which is mounting stuff to it and stiffening it. I found that adding Top hat stiffeners the way to go for that.
Mine bridges the 4' width and 7' length with nothing except the sides.
1/2" divinylcell with 2 layers of 6oz. on both sides. I got a bit sloppy with resin so subtract maybe 1-2 lbs.
Seats also foam HUGE savings in weight but not upholstered yet.
Forgot but I think 4lbs per seat with closed cell foam padding.
Old ones 20lbs???
I have more detail on my site.

I doubt you have 1/2" of resin on your floor.

Lighter battery/ies could save a few. Normal batteries VS the lightweight type is about 1/2.

Get rid of any unnecesary junk. I think you already did that though.