PDA

View Full Version : Spraying laminating resin...

Reese
07-01-2003, 05:51 PM
Just finishing up the inside part of the floor and I know they make non-sanding primer/sealer that can be sprayed and then finish coated with paint...can I do the same thing by spraying laminating resin?

I've got about 2 gallons of the stuff and want to use it up if I can...remember laminating resin stays tacky until it's sealed or painted.

AlaskaStreamin
07-02-2003, 09:43 AM
Reese,
Laminating resin is just un-pigmented gelcoat in a less quality form. (not as pure). Sure you can spray it. Remember it weighs alot and is brittle so use sparingly. Add up to 10% pigment if you want a color. Styrene is the thinner of choice but Acetone or MEK will work.

Watch the kick time or your gun will be toast!!:p

Add some surfacing agent and it will cure hard. If you can't get it just shave some parifin wax in the thinner and add to the resin. It will disolve and float to the surface once applied.

Ehhhh??? cool trick !!:D

Techno
07-02-2003, 03:17 PM
laminating resin is normal resin without the wax in it. Poly cures sticky if exposed to air. The wax rises to the surface as an oxygen seal to make it cure hard and not sticky.

I think it was raceman that corrected me on the gel coat. Filled with talc? See I forgot already.

AlaskaStreamin
07-02-2003, 05:15 PM
Also if you forget to add the wax, you can acheive the hard cure by removing the oxygen. You can spray PVA (poly vinyl alcohol) over it then wash off the next day. If it's a floor and you can't get PVA, put waxed paper over it. If it's a boat hull, you can throw it in the water for the afternoon. As long as the O2 is gone, it'll cure hard.

AlaskaStreamin
07-02-2003, 05:48 PM
This is what the PVA loks like. My daughter is washing it off with water.

Reese
07-02-2003, 06:26 PM
I don't want to achieve a hard cure...I would like to spray the laminating resin, wait about an hour or two and spray my finish paint coat right over it.

I know they make urethane primers that don't require sanding and I'm trying to achieve the same thing using Laminating resin instead...just never heard of anyone doing it this way and wanted to know if it would work...:)

AlaskaStreamin
07-03-2003, 09:41 AM
Slap, slap, slap:p OK, I get it now!!:D I've had bottom paint alligator going over tacky gelcoat. It took several days to show up. Actually it didn't alligator, but had hirline splits in the black bottom paint. Looked like spider webs everywhere. A second coat covered the cracks and it was fine after that. That's all I have.

Techno
07-03-2003, 10:32 AM
A lot of the paint makers say to use thier products only, so do most painters. By mixing chemistries you could ruin 1 or both products. You are spraying a paint over an uncured? resin so the chemicals may interfere with each other.

If in doubt and really want to do it, spray the resin and then the paint on a test panel like a garbage can or whatever. If it works or don't no loss.

Reese
07-03-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm starting to rush a little trying to get this damn boat finished and am starting to cut some corners...mostly tired of sanding.

I'm going to brush a small area with urethane paint and see what happens...if it works I'll spray the whole interior...If it doesn't I'll get some non-sanding primer and shot that first.

Reese
07-11-2003, 04:29 PM
tried to apply finish coat over the laminating resin...it worked okay but got a lot of little spider cracks which seem like tiny little void of separation between the paint and the substrate (laminating resin). When I applied a second coat of paint the cracks went away...Alaskan was right!

Decided to bite the bullet and just use a non-sanding epoxy primer ($50 a quart) and feel better that the paint will stick forever...so much for saving money on materials...:D