PDA

View Full Version : Best way to cut out old glass

Djyox
06-29-2003, 10:13 PM
Just wondering what is the best way to cut old glass out? I've been using a skill saw and a jig saw, about to jump to a sawsall....let me know what you guys do to cut it. I've been breaking bits left and right on the jigsaw but its small to get into tight areas. Thanks

crazy horse
06-29-2003, 10:44 PM
Thin cut off wheels in a 4-1/2 grinder or a die grinder with roto zip bits.

Liqui-Fly
06-30-2003, 10:23 AM
I even bought a new adjustable head porter cable sawzall ($$$) but noting works like a 4.5 " grinder with a cut off wheel. Wear a suit and a mask and goggles and go at it. The time savings is amazing!!

David

Techno
06-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Same here
Also I had one of those horror movie attachments for it. It's a chain saw on a wheel for free hand sculpting more or less. Any way I killed it on the glass but it still worked great for cutting through the wood. I cut the glass with the cut off wheel and then switched for the wood that had to be cut out.
You can slice glass skin over wood and peel it off or carefully cut any tabbing to release those. Found on dash board and floor in mine.

prybry
06-30-2003, 04:19 PM
If you have an air compressor, I'd suggest a small 1/4" die grinder with the smallest dia carbide burr you can lay your hands on. For small cuts a dremel tool will work as well. I haven't tried a Rotozip yet but I'm betting it would work too.

crazy horse
06-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Air tools last a lot longer than eletric tools. I have air grinders that I run cutoff wheels in if I have alot of glass to cut. I like roto zip bits because there real cheap and most of them are made to cut with the min. of dust and they cut inward so they don't chip the surface. I bought a wood working dust colector and installed a flex hose, It cleans the dust out as fast as I can cut it. So far I've lost two sets of gloves in the damn thing , Ya gotta be careful where ya set the hose down:D

175checkmate
06-30-2003, 08:41 PM
Having cut apart my boat a skill saw, sawls all, works. A roto rip works but the bits do not last

jmdank
06-30-2003, 08:56 PM
2nd air die grinder with a carbide bit (tight spots, tight curves)
This is the way to go for sure!
-Jason

Techno
06-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Something else. If your considering painting yourself and are going to need a supplied air hood get it now. It's great for the glass dust. I'm completely isolated now except for my hands which aren't a problem.
At $500 though it's not worth it unless you really need it.