PDA

View Full Version : video clip of new Runnecraft Formula E Hydro in action

Mark75H
06-29-2003, 09:35 PM
click on this only if you have a high speed connection (http://216.120.234.56/FEHSEH.wmv)

I think the file is 2.7meg so don't try it with dialup unless you are going to let it run overnight or something.

Farmer John's latest and greatest FE Hydro

The motor is based on a 44.9ci 2 cylinder OMC 60hp. I'm pretty certain it is capable of a little over 100 mph now, maybe 110+ after they get a few more things dialed in.

Stop the clip at 9 to 11 seconds and look at how much boat is in the water

Hot Shot Merc
07-01-2003, 04:22 PM
MARK, BAD ASS VIDEO!

Mark75H
07-01-2003, 06:43 PM
The bottom is 40 inches wide ... a full 2 inches wider than anyone else ever dared make this style boat, but 2 inches narrower than the next FEH hydro that will come out of the Runnecraft shop.

I'm almost ready to saw my Pugh down the middle and add 8" to it.

I went back and reread Jimboat's book.......Runne added width and they decreased the angle of attack. The decreased angle of attack should slightly decrease LA (aerodynamic load). Looks like at speed this machine has no real water resistance ... it is flying about 1.5 or 2 inches off the water.

I wondered why they were running the prop so deep ... they have to ... that's where the water is!

Mark75H
07-01-2003, 10:13 PM
More video from Sharptown, MD

http://216.120.234.56/Sharptown.wmv

This is even longer. The light exposure is a little off, but you get to see the big boat sailing along even more. At one point you will see John look to his right as he passes the judge's stand.....he's looking at his wife who is signaling him to loop thru the bridge to give the C class boats a fighting chance.

Maybe later we will have video of the C Mod/Super E hydro starts....John paced himself to start at zero on the clock which meant starting way back from the C's which can run a little over 75 and blasting by them at 95 or so right as the clock went to zero.......coming by like a giant slingshot move.

RAO
07-03-2003, 10:14 AM
I have a 1989 OMC Formula E engine that I am in need of a boat for. I have been thinking about an FEH. Is this a good combination and what modifications if any would I need to do to the motor. I am not really to keen on doing any engine mods. since the engine has never had a problem has never been modified. Also since I am not racing I was thinking of getting a jack plate to raise the engine to get the proper height since the motor has the stock 15" mid. I know this will raise the centre of gravity somewhat but since I am not racing will this become a dangerous rig. Am I crazy for going this route and if so what kind of boat would you suggest if I am. I have had a Delta and a Voodoo and have over 12 years experience driving these boats.and am looking for something different.

I was also wondering if you have some video of a rig like this planeing off.

Thanks,

heath brinkley
07-03-2003, 10:25 AM
hell yeah!!!

RAO
07-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Hell Yeah what?

I had listed several questions.

heath brinkley
07-03-2003, 10:40 AM
I guess that did sound like a answer to a question, but I was referring to the clip.
HotShotMerc said, bad ass video, I said hell yeah.

can't answer any of your questions though, I've never been around those boats, but they're really cool.

Mark75H
07-03-2003, 05:10 PM
RAO, I have no idea why OMC put the Formula E name on the side of those motors, it has nothing to do with Formula E racing other than the fact that they can be used as a base motor to begin building a Formula E racer.

At 198 pounds you would not be able to float the back of anything resembling a Formula E boat, the motor's weight would need to be reduced to something around 125-135. To get much over 50 mph you will need a racing lower unit.

I have used motors as tall as 44" from the top to the tip of the skeg, but they were dangerously tall. How tall is the standard Formula E? A bunch more than 44". My current motor is considered tall at 35", but it handles well. At 44" the rig was dangerous when ever it interacted with another boat's wake (almost hit a bridge once).

For performance nothing much needs to be done to your powerhead, it is OK.

Boat-wise you would have to build something about 15" long with a 46-48" wide running surface probably 6+ ft wide at the sponsons.

You might consider something more in the line of a "Sport C" or "Mod-50" tunnel hull instead. One of our own has a Sport C for sale right now, the price looks right to me:

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36988

I don't have anything digitized showing any small hydros starting and planing off. It is actually rather unspectacular.......they do not bring the bow up at all, rather they simply gain speed at much the same attitude as they float. The only thing that makes any difference is when the prop stops slipping and the motor rpm slows down.....WHAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..OHhoommmmm

MODIFIEDOUTBOARD
07-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Sam,
Posted a new thread, ment to respond to your post.
Wondered where Novalves is?
Maybe some one showed him what a Reed Valve is!!!!

Wonder where Dean Engler is?

modifiedoutboard@hotmail.com

Travis Fulton
07-06-2003, 11:01 PM
seems like i have seen that somewhere before???;)

thaw ripper
07-19-2003, 12:22 AM
RTRMETO:cool:More :cool: Pix please

H2Onut
07-19-2003, 07:58 AM
SWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Mark75H
07-19-2003, 06:05 PM
6 cylinder Merc with open stacks (http://216.120.234.56/SamCullis.wmv)

This links to the same video as the "Hey, its me!" thread

Mucho big file, Raceman advises have your dogs leave the room before playing.........makes some of them crazy!