PDA

View Full Version : Yellowed gelcoat

Jimbob
06-26-2003, 01:05 AM
Any suggestions on buffing out yellowed white gelcoat? Just got a couple of small areas, not real visible in sunlight but I know their there.

stvhelm
06-26-2003, 08:19 AM
Easiest yet, takes about 15 minutes. Get some muriatic acid from the local paint store. this stuff is nasty and will eat aluminum so be careful where you rub it on and dont let it drip on the trailer. wet the trailer down first but not the boat. its best to use one of those kitchen sponge mops to apply it. do 1 section at a time and hose it off. keep the untreated areas dry before you apply it. you'll never see a whiter hull. Use rubber gloves and a mask, the fuems can knock you out.

action17
06-26-2003, 08:35 AM
are they yellow stains from water or it a spray patch of gelcoat thats starting to yellow???

Jimbob
06-26-2003, 11:52 PM
It's gelcoat that has started to yellow, just in a couple of places. The boat is always garaged and kept out of the sun so I'm just trying to stay ahead of the yellowing. Thanks for the help.:D

action17
06-27-2003, 09:15 AM
you can try the advice from stvhelm but in my past expirence with this type of yellowing theres not much you can do about it :( it caused from the wax solution they mix in with the gelcoat to do a spray patch on the finished gelcoat.

Ospreyproduction
01-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Toilet bowl cleaner w hydrocloric acid works great too. And it's the cheap stuff. Don't buy the TB cleaner with bleach, and DON'T mix it with bleach!!! Cheap cheap stuff works very well.