PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch Lanyards - USCG Reg

WaterZebra
10-20-2022, 02:51 AM
This was the first year for mandatory kill switch lanyards (USCG). Anybody see someone getting written up for not having one?

CharlieN
02-12-2023, 06:44 AM
I had not seen this question until now.
I generally wear the lanyard, it is required at most of the events I attend.
But for me I do not rally consider it important since I run with a foot throttle so the boat comes to idle if I ever get out of position.

David - WI
02-12-2023, 02:31 PM
I thought we figured out lanyards aren't required... but if the boat has one, you have to wear it (boats under 26').

https://uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/engine-cut-off-devices.php

WaterZebra
02-21-2023, 12:57 PM
I thought we figured out lanyards aren't required... but if the boat has one, you have to wear it (boats under 26').

I guess it applies to factory installed swithes on engines and boats? If it does, this will be hard to enforce.

PeterBrodbeck
08-07-2023, 03:02 AM
Kill switch lanyards are required in 49 states and the District of Columbia. The only state where they are not required is Maine. However, even in Maine, a kill switch lanyard is still required if the boat has an outboard motor with more than 135 horsepower.

DangerNewb
08-07-2023, 05:57 AM
I had not seen this question until now.
I generally wear the lanyard, it is required at most of the events I attend.
But for me I do not rally consider it important since I run with a foot throttle so the boat comes to idle if I ever get out of position.

Can you swim as fast as your boat idles in gear? With clothes and a life jacket on?

PeterBrodbeck
08-08-2023, 02:44 AM
All safety rules are written in blood

CharlieN
08-17-2023, 11:08 AM
Can you swim as fast as your boat idles in gear? With clothes and a life jacket on?
I can run on water most of the year.

WaterZebra
08-24-2023, 12:26 PM

Read the link you provided! Any vessel or outboard with OEM ECOS must use the lanyard. My original question dealt with how they were going to enforce the law, especially the small stuff like inflatables.

David - WI
08-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Read the link you provided! Any vessel or outboard with OEM ECOS must use the lanyard. My original question dealt with how they were going to enforce the law, especially the small stuff like inflatables.

Still not clear to me that everybody needs one.

Q6. What boats need to have an Engine Cut-Off Switch installed?

A6. Boats less than 26 feet in length that generate more than 115lbs of static thrust (~ 2-3hp) and were built beginning in January 2020. If the boats’ primary helm is inside an enclosed cabin it is not required to have an Engine Cut-Off Switch.

CharlieN
08-25-2023, 06:23 AM
I had not previously seen the 2020 date.
I wear mine though.
Way back in the early 70s I was ejected out of my 3 points hydro, An 8' hull with a 20H Merc on it.
It ran 60 according to radar,
One of the pulley blocks unbonded from the hull.
When the pulley broke free the boat spun aggressively ejecting me.

I was underwater, still kneeling, I think my hands were still one on the wheel and the other on the CW throttle, or so I thought.
When I surfaced my helmet was over my eyes, water dumping out. My boat was just sitting there as peaceful as could be, engine cocked over hard to the left.

As I walk away from writing this I recall now why my ankle is in such bad shape today. The foot was caught under the side hull when I was ejected as they were splayed out in a kneeler. Something about that moment 53 years ago.

David - WI
08-25-2023, 10:17 AM
I'm not arguing that people shouldn't use them... only questioning what the new "law" actually says.

CharlieN
08-25-2023, 10:51 AM
What year was your boat built? After 2020 it must have the switch.

David - WI
08-25-2023, 11:21 AM
But you don't have to wear it fishing, docking, idling, trolling, or passing through a slow-no-wake zone (which is where most​ of the people I see get pulled over for life vest/registration checks).

CharlieN
08-25-2023, 12:12 PM
That regulation only refers to boats being equipped with the system. The regulation clearly states the year of manufacture the builder had to start compliance.
The regulations for wearing the lanyard are set by each state.

Personally I do not care about regulations for PFDs or lanyards because I wear them by choice.
I am pretty much sure that wearing safety gear, Everyone on this site is pretty darn well set with their own safety protocol.
When I paddle my high performance carbon canoe I wear my vest all the time, that boat will spit you out whenever it chooses.
In my powerboats, I feel no need to wear the vest idling in a channel. But when my foot is on the throttle or the water is getting angry I have my gear on.

David - WI
08-25-2023, 01:10 PM
Q12. Do I need to keep the Engine Cut-Off Switch Link attached at all times?

A12. No. The Engine Cut-Off Switch Link doesn’t need to be attached when the vessel is idling or performing docking maneuvers. The Engine Cut-Off Switch Link must be attached whenever the boat is operating on plane or greater than displacement speed

WaterZebra
08-25-2023, 06:08 PM
That regulation only refers to boats being equipped with the system. The regulation clearly states the year of manufacture the builder had to start compliance.
The regulations for wearing the lanyard are set by each state.

Personally I do not care about regulations for PFDs or lanyards because I wear them by choice.
I am pretty much sure that wearing safety gear, Everyone on this site is pretty darn well set with their own safety protocol.
When I paddle my high performance carbon canoe I wear my vest all the time, that boat will spit you out whenever it chooses.
In my powerboats, I feel no need to wear the vest idling in a channel. But when my foot is on the throttle or the water is getting angry I have my gear on.

I wonder where lanyards fit in with the CA guy in a triple outboard CC managed to land on somebody's yard deck at night on the Lake of the Ozarks? Everybody (6?) was ejected and the center console tube frame acted like a roll cage. There were 2 individuals booked on DUI charges. I have no idea if the lanyard was part of the investigation? Lanyards and blow box ignition interlocks can't fix "stupid"..........

David - WI
08-25-2023, 07:43 PM
It looked like that upside-down triple-outboard Nortech was over 26' long so... "recreational boats less than 26’ in length that have an Engine Cut-Off Device installed."