PDA

View Full Version : Looking for someone to shoot metal flake gelcoat.

jimmie jam
10-13-2022, 07:32 AM
I'm at the point in the restoration of my 1975 18SS Sidewinder that I'm looking for someone to shoot the hull with metal flake gel in south Florida up to central FL. Boat is currently in OK. Any suggestions or help appreciated...not sure if this is posted in the right place. Thanks

WaterZebra
10-14-2022, 01:10 AM
I'm at the point in the restoration of my 1975 18SS Sidewinder that I'm looking for someone to shoot the hull with metal flake gel in south Florida up to central FL. Boat is currently in OK. Any suggestions or help appreciated...not sure if this is posted in the right place. Thanks

Shooting metal flake gelcoat is becoming a lost art in boat building. Recoating a hull that's already built has its own set of problems. Metal flake layups start in a mold with a gelcoat in clear, then a mix containing the glitter and then usually backed up with black for background. The trick is in the second coat with getting the glitter mix uniform so that a minimum of the flakes are not standing on their edges. All of this process cannot end up with a gelcoat that is too thick and won't bond with the glass substrate. Stacking glitter on top of a hull surface that already exists is easier said than done. Not sure it is worth the effort and $$$. You might want to consider a paint overlayer in Imron in a metallic that closely matches your metalflake? Sometimes an Imron clearcoat will bring back the luster in your old metalflake provided that UV damage hasn't dulled the glitter.

LakeFever
10-14-2022, 03:46 AM
Im shooting metal flake paint on the deck of mine. Using paint for three reasons; 1. I dont care for gel as a topcoat. Its bug time labor intensive and requires frequent polishing 2. With paint i’ll be using a mid coat clear and flop control which helps the flakes lay down flat 3. The shine is glossier and never needs a polish

Below the water line im using endura which is similar to awlgrip

WaterZebra
10-14-2022, 09:32 AM
Im shooting metal flake paint on the deck of mine. Using paint for three reasons; 1. I dont care for gel as a topcoat. Its bug time labor intensive and requires frequent polishing 2. With paint i’ll be using a mid coat clear and flop control which helps the flakes lay down flat 3. The shine is glossier and never needs a polish

Below the water line im using endura which is similar to awlgrip

Oh, and another thing, gelcoat (resin) is much heavier than paint............

jimmie jam
10-17-2022, 11:49 AM
I have been over the options and will be doing gel and not paint so I'm going to keep searching...all points well taken. This boat was ordered by me new so that's why I'm taking it back to OEM w/gel.

LakeFever
10-17-2022, 12:45 PM
Jack Barsh is in your neck of the woods. If he wont do it? He will know someone local who can.

Meatbasher
10-19-2022, 03:51 PM
I’m wrapping mine for now. I figure it will at least keep what is there out of the elements and it is something I can do myself. Only issue I have run into is the really heavy flake looking vinyl is out of stock for a year thanks to the pandemic. I found a nice metallic silver and red in 60’ rolls. Set me back around $700.