PDA

View Full Version : safety equiptment

speed
06-15-2003, 12:40 PM
what steering set up is recommended for my daytona 260 hp im running double cable manual steering lot of torque also is lifeline the only option on jackets? starting to climb up in speed and i need to stop being a dough head on saftey and purchase helmets and inpact jackets.

Techno
06-15-2003, 02:22 PM
security is another jacket option although the price isn't drasticly lower than lifeline. security does have an active web site unlike lifeline though and both are good to talk too for the diffs in jackets and which to get.
http://www.securityrace.com/
Depending on your choice of helmet and jacket expect to pay roughly $700- about a props cost. Also consider a helmet harness. They are relatively cheap.

Your steering if rigging won't get rid of the torque, a No Feed Back helm will kind of eliminate it. NFBs have a brake like deal on them that lock when your not turning, turning releases it so you have the torque again.
Hydraulic steering will get rid of it but is expensive and has the very slight problem of not returning or centering, this means you can't use the coiled wire on the wheel trim switches.
Hydraulic seems to be highly regarded by those that have it. It also allows finger turning of the wheel while docking.

halveb
06-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Security has no shortage of types of jackets to purchase. Which jacket is most appropriate for running inland lakes? I am guessing that the outboard jackets are for the racing style kneeling o/b jockeys and not necessarily appropriate for a fat old man sitting in an HST. :D

Is the Offshore Jacket the right ticket?

BK
06-16-2003, 03:48 PM
The thing to remember is that a regular ski-jacket type PFD is going to disintegrate and be ripped off of you once you hit the water at 80 to 90+ mph. It will be worthless. So something with proper leg-straps is essential.

Both Security and Lifeline make specialty jackets for each type of boater:

Stock outboard (kneel down) have a "tail" to protect your bum from injury.
But these are very uncomfortable if you want to sit down. (I've tried it)

Then there are OPC jackets (for our kind of boating) as well as Offshore jackets (for non-capsuled boats). These both have a lot of impact material for your chest --- to prevent broken ribs and punctured lungs. If you've ever seen anyone get chunked through the side of a hooked boat, or slammed through a dashboard during a stuff, you'll know why impact protection is mandatory.

I'm not sure what the differences are between these two types. They look very similar.

There are also jackets known as "Hi Performance" jackets that are rated for 100mph boating, but the chest impact material is very minimal. They are rated as "100 mph jackets" because they are built to stay attached to the person throughout a high speed crash. But for better personal protection to avoid some painful broken ribs, I'd opt for one of the racing jackets instead.

There are also a lot of capsule jackets to choose from. But these have no protection and no flotation. To be used ONLY while strapped into a capsule.

Helmet restraints are also a key piece of equipment to save your neck if you ever get ejected at a high rate of speed.

You can sometimes find used racing jackets at the APBA website classified ad section:

http://www.apba-racing.com/Adds.php

This is updated every month, so be sure and check back often.

There are a couple of jackets and helmets for sale on the Offshore site too:

http://www.certifiedracingequipment.com/

BarryStrawn
06-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Lifeline has upgraded their website http://www.lifelinejackets.com/ . Call them for advice about your situation but an Offshore is likely what you want. They used to be called Offshore/OPC when OPC still had open cockpits. And get helmet restraints.

Security has a good reputation but I called them a few times about helmets and always seemed to get some gomer on the phone that doesn't know s__t from shinola.

halveb
06-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks BK and Barry it is as I suspected. Was looking for a jacket last year and never did find one used so I guess I am gonna have to splurge and get one new, just didn't want to spend that much money and not get the right thing.

I also called Security and was told for lake boating all I needed was the poker run jacket. I told them the boat was capable of speeds in excess of 90mph. I got the feeling the person taking the call didn't know much about the product line but I do believe that the Security line is a good product. Like most things, there is no substitute from doing your own research and being informed.

speed
06-17-2003, 03:13 PM
okay lots of info on the jackets. thanks. as for the helmet can it be a motorcycle helmet? full face or open? what size of jacket would i need at 5ft8 170 to 185lbs.

GT
06-17-2003, 03:31 PM
I'm 5'6" & 190#'s, I wear a large & use a zipper extender. Tried an x-large & felt it was too loose. Rather have it a tad tight than loose.

Techno
06-17-2003, 05:40 PM
When I called security they said the diff in the offshores is they have padding for the bolsters when you stand in the seat for wave action pounding. You don't have this stand up feature in a lake boat so don't need it.

I like the tail and don't really notice it. If you can pull the seat bottom out a bit to leave that little hole the tail will slip right in and won't be a problem at all.

The big tip is to call either one for advice. Too many to choose from. I say go for maximum protection but I'm biased. Read previous posts by BK and others and don't want to spend time on a hospital stay when I may have avoided it.

Helmets are a debatable item as full face or open. Some are worried you'll drowned with a full face but just can't see that with self righting racing jacket. I go full face and dumped the idea of an open for a 2nd and passenger when watching a video of a snowmobiler jumping a creek. He hit short impacted the steering bar, cut his lower lip and spit all his teeth out. His freinds videod the whole thing and they couldn't save his teeth although they tried.
I take this a bit further and just assume a full face may prevent reconstructive surgery, that and the story of someones wife getting hit in the head by a duck while boating.

The helmet should be snell approved and someone else pointed out it should be for water, something about the glues and the abitlity to dry it out.

MTCM
06-17-2003, 07:04 PM
Speed, Half B, and the Rest,

This pic shows a Security Race Products Pro Outboard Jacket. This jacket has impact panels but no tail. You can get them with or without impact, with or without tail. This one is a custom fit from measurements I provided to SRP. It is also a custom color. I paid $600 for it. SRP Jackets are quality products just like the Lifelines. The Helmet (also custom) was $400. Obviously it is a Full-Face Shoei. When it comes to your ass...........get the best you can get. This is one area you do not want to cut quality or cost.

This particular model jacket being custom made when ordered takes about a month for them to get it to your hands, so order now.................... :D

These are for racing and are not comfortable (but tolerable) for prolonged periods of time due to the stiff impact panels inside the jacket.

halveb
06-20-2003, 04:21 PM
MTMC,

Are those things around your legs the leg bands they offer as an option as opposed to crotch straps? I only plan on wearing the jacket in high speed applications. I normally cruise around between 40-70mph and don't plan on wearing the vest for that. I know it is still dangerous and I may reconsider depending on how comfortable it is.

I don't need custom stuff so hopefully I can get mine a little quicker.

MTCM
06-20-2003, 04:38 PM
The Leg Bands were standard equipment as far as I know. The Crotch Straps are there and are intergral with the bands. The bands help keep the straps from turning you into a Eunich........:D

I think you can get this jacket with what ever options you want. Just call Security and ask. As with Lifeline, you can return the Jacket for re-certification for a nominal fee.

Take care.

speed
06-21-2003, 08:27 AM
what about passengers buying a lifeline and helmet for everyone could be expensive. or do you guys just use the single set up for speed runs?

BarryStrawn
06-21-2003, 09:14 AM
My own speed limit for passengers is 75mph. After that it is solo.

Techno
06-21-2003, 09:28 PM
I will get a 2nd set when I get the money. Either you don't go fast, don't have a passenger or you have more than one set.
You can always give yours to the passenger and do without but then your right back to where you started.

And if the 2nd set don't fit them then they're out of luck.

There are a whole lot of people who think 60 on the water is fast and are content with that. I suppose you can always put them on skis for the fast runs.:D