PDA

View Full Version : What all do I need to brush GEL on my floors?

LaserModVee
06-11-2003, 02:03 PM
I put new floors in my Laser.
Right now they're wood with glass that I used the West System to glass in.

I read where some of you guys were painting the floors with Kilz.
How does that turn out and hold up?

I was figuring gel would be just about bulletproof and allow me to wash out the interior if needed.

I don't like carpet in boats.

So do I just order some gel and brush it on?
Do I need some sort of catalyst?
Don't you have to seal gel from the outside air in order for it to cure?

Thanks in advance!

Reese
06-11-2003, 02:27 PM
cause I really don't like gel much...I guess it's a great time saver when you're popping a new boat out of the mold but catalyzed paints and polyurethanes are a better choice.

There paints are tough and more importantly they flex without cracking. Have you ever seen spider cracks on a painted car or boat.

I've resined my floor and will paint with regular single stage catalyzed automotive paint...quick and easy.

BTW, Kiltz is not catalyzed and not much better than house paint.

Liqui-Fly
06-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Gel does not work all that hot over epoxy. If you insist let it cure for atleast a month and wash the hell out of it with water to get rid of the amine blush. Another route and I think a better route would be to put down some epoxy barrier coat by Interlux and go over the top of that with a two part urethane from Interlux. Interlux has lots of colors too.

www.interlux.com

David

Liqui-Fly
06-11-2003, 02:32 PM
If you did a nice job laminating, varnish looks very nice also.

David

LaserModVee
06-11-2003, 02:56 PM
Thanks

Interlux it is.

The natural wood looks nice, but I think it would get hotter than hell down here in Florida.

I'm going to go with a low sheen white and maybe splatter red on it.
That's how my dad's Laser was done from the factory, white base, blue splatter. Looks cool.

Liqui-Fly
06-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Make sure you put the barrier coat down first. Without it the urethane will take forever to reach full cure. I know this from experience.

David

LaserModVee
06-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Cool.

Will do the barrier coat then.
I'm making my list of stuff I need to have when I go back to Ohio in order to finish the boat enough to use it at the Rumble.

Thanks.