PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Colorado Custom Design Tunnel Hull

MaMikee
08-16-2021, 04:37 PM
First off, can anyone tell me anything about this boat? I can find nothing about this thing except the physical hull in the shop.

Here is the Coast Guard Info plate. Hull is registered as CEH25257M771.

MaMikee
08-18-2021, 02:03 PM
Didn't expect anyone to know about my boat as I can't find out anything about its roots.

Some guys asked about the hull when I was talking about the bridgeport so that is what this thread is about. It is going through a restoration right now.

Here is what got it all started: an ad in the October 1992 copy of "Denver Boat & RV" flyer -

XstreamVking
08-18-2021, 03:47 PM
Looks cool enough. Keep the pics coming. Maybe someone might recognize the hull design if they could see it better.

MaMikee
08-18-2021, 04:28 PM
If you are a picture type of person just skip these posts that don't have any but I do want to tell the whole story.

We loved waterskiing and I had a 1973 Schuester Tahiti 18' ski boat with a 150 merc on it. Loved that boat, we took it to Powell so many times I almost wore out the trailer. So I was hooked on that type of boat.

Worked for HP in the day (Ft Collins CO) and along in about 1990 a business slowdown caused them to offer the technical staff what we called "The Golden Parachute", a years worth of pay and help finding your next gig. I took it. Goofed around for a couple years and decided to build my dream shop on 8 acres I bought in Palisade, CO on the western slope.

I owned my house in FTC and sold it. Seemed like a big wad of cash combined with HP's check, more than enough to build a house, right? (ANS: NO) so I looked for another boat and bought this one. As the ad says it had a 175 on it. Beautiful new paint, custom trailer and boat cover. Really nice stuff. But not nice enough for a young kid with "boatloads" of money, right?

How to upgrade? Stay tuned...

Turtleherder
08-19-2021, 07:25 AM
Are you sure about that hull ID number? I tried a lookup and it showed no results and the CEH prefix shows it as registered to Seahawk Inflatables. Also from that old pic it kind of looks like a Starbuck.

MaMikee
08-19-2021, 08:50 AM
One more thing about this ad: specious marketing. The seller says "Great Ski Boat" which is a complete crock! No transom hooks or pylon, you can't even pull a skier unless you just lasso the OB!

Guess he figured that was the best way to sell the boat.

MaMikee
08-19-2021, 08:51 AM
Are you sure about that hull ID number? I tried a lookup and it showed no results and the CEH prefix shows it as registered to Seahawk Inflatables. Also from that old pic it kind of looks like a Starbuck.

More pics will be coming, but thanks for this lead, I'll look for that make.

I suspect there is some funny business with the whole registration and the actual hull has no SN

MaMikee
08-19-2021, 09:10 AM
We have an answer! Mine is in fact a 17' Starbuck, later actually called Colorado Custom. The mfg was in Arvada, Jim Starbuck. Later Lake Havasu City.

MaMikee
08-21-2021, 07:11 PM
So I bought this '77 Colorado Custom for $5,000 in 1992 with the Mercury 175 HP on it. I could not get the engine started. I was in the middle of a 300 mile move and didn't troubleshoot the boat very thoroughly. I took it to a guy in Golden Colorado (Bill Wiles) who shot fuel/oil into the carbs and it started. After we got it running he mentioned that he had a 225 HP that he could put on it. Hum, 50 more HP? SURE! And put a jack plate on it too. (Cook mfg CMC). Traded engines, paid the bill and I was off with a boat rated for 145 HP that had 225 on it. Didn't have time to put it on the water for some time after that (had to build a house first) but the fundamentals were in place. It was years later before we put it on the water.

MaMikee
08-21-2021, 07:19 PM
It might have had an HIN but this might have been painted over in 1990. Starbuck boats had NLG as a manufacturer code but nothing for Colorado Custom Design.

MaMikee
08-22-2021, 11:10 AM
Well here is the boat as she floated July 31 2021 at Flaming Gorge Buckhorn "Marina" (really just a boat launch & bar now). I love that the "sheer" (whatever the widest part of the hull is called) is below the water as she sits empty. This suggests "fast boat" to me, probably "Nearer my God to Thee" to others ( - : She was taking on water at a fair clip so you didn't let it sit too long without both bilge pumps on.

MaMikee
08-24-2021, 02:05 PM
After that boat outing the transom was showing its age. Transoms are in a constant battle with the OB to see who will prevail (will the engine tear out the transom?) and since the transom is a 1977 and the engine is a 1982 we have a clear winner. Hence the restoration

MaMikee
08-26-2021, 08:15 AM
Before the July trip I installed a GPS speedometer (the only way to go I might add). We were spinning a 22P stainless prop which isn't enough for this boat but here is what we got with my wife driving (turns out it is her boat).

Keep in mind that Flaming Gorge is at 6,023' MSL and you lose 3% for every 1,000 feet above sea level

MaMikee
08-26-2021, 11:26 AM
Question about Merc intake manifolds: Mine looks like this (which I like very much) but I haven't seen another one with the tubes like this.

Any insights for me?

MaMikee
08-26-2021, 11:29 AM
Question about Merc intake manifolds: Mine looks like this (which I like very much) but I haven't seen another one with the tubes like this.

Correction: Airbox. I suppose the intake manifold for this 2 stroke doubles as a reed cage

MaMikee
08-28-2021, 04:57 PM
Pulled off the 1/8" aluminum that made up the aft of the transom. Pretty much looks like Swiss cheese. I counted 20 holes 1/2" or larger. Wonder if this is where the water was getting in?

Also it was backed by a triangular shaped piece of bondo. This trimmed the motor in an additional inch. How curious, more nose down? If bondo could talk. I'm left asking that age old question: "Why Santee Claus, why?"

MaMikee
08-29-2021, 08:18 PM
I dug into the top half of the transom with a multifunction vibrating tool with carbide blade. Not too hard to get through it all the way around as shown here. The top I took out was actually in pretty good shape, dry and strong. 2 ~ 5/8" marine ply sheets separated by a layer of glass. But the top right corner of this is what I showed pulling away. Best to know what you have so no regrets. Look at all that RTV sealer! "That should hold it."

MaMikee
08-31-2021, 05:45 PM
Transom all the way out, again wood very solid except for attachments to the splash well and rounded transom side features. Left a bunch of it in so I'll have something to attach the new transom to.

There is a ledge where the rub rail goes which is where I think most of the water was getting in.

MaMikee
09-01-2021, 12:14 PM
Best way to create a new transom: POUR IT!

Can't resist trying this crazy new idea. A hydrostatic transom, no miters, bevels, chamfers etc. Build dam walls (!) and cast it.

This stuff is like fresh cut flowers, 90 day shelf life. Hard to get (like most things) these days too. Might even do video of this process.

XstreamVking
09-01-2021, 12:48 PM
There's several pour transom vids on the web. Might check them out ..

MaMikee
09-01-2021, 02:43 PM
There's several pour transom vids on the web. Might check them out ..

How do you think I learned? ( - :

XstreamVking
09-01-2021, 04:44 PM
Hydrostatic transom? More like a concrete slab transom.

MaMikee
09-01-2021, 05:42 PM
Hydrostatic transom? More like a concrete slab transom.

Concrete is a bit of harsh characterization for a ceramic-impregnated epoxy resin. Coosa or plywood are slabs.

Hydro: fluid as you pour it in

Static: it stays there, you hope!

XstreamVking
09-01-2021, 05:58 PM
Polyester concrete slab. But will fill a hole.

MaMikee
09-02-2021, 08:10 AM
Polyester concrete slab. But will fill a hole.

You are entitled to your opinion but this isn't much different from standard fiberglass.

Not sure what your point is but it appears like you are berating this approach. Not constructive

mrichartz
09-02-2021, 08:58 AM
Ok dont think your boat will fall into this category but for those that read later...
Ive seen where people just dug out the transom and you could see all the damn to the knees etc stress cracks and delamination..
Pored in a new transom....and just figured hey new transom ready to go and threw on a huge motor and.......well who knows but did see one one where guy bought a boat they said had new transom guess what ...yup...the transom was seriously scary from just the motor bouncing from the trip bringing it home...and probably damage from when the transom was going and kept using the boat too.(.sounds like a recent someone that got banned on here did a transom before lol...YES JK mostly we did see his work)
One of the things I don't like about the pour in seacast transoms etc..is your not glassing , re-glassing in the transom to the rest of the boat where the bulk of the strength is... etc.
Now if the transom was shot you have a motor bouncing around causing what kind of stress and damage to all of that...

MaMikee
09-02-2021, 09:18 AM
... One of the things I don't like about the pour in seacast transoms etc..is your not glassing , re-glassing in the transom to the rest of the boat where the bulk of the strength is... etc.

I guess that is where this story was leading. How this was going to be done. You talk about what is not done as though it was a certainty.

Of course at this point there is no turning back so onward & upward. And as we know I can spend 1,800 hours and just rebuild the boat.

mrichartz
09-02-2021, 09:34 AM
NO.. im not berating or putting down your job..
I just mentioned one.. and was for readers later looking/reading for info..
Because people look for info and as mentioned there are some people out there that.. well lets just stick to this..

And i said one thing i didnt like about it not your project or job...ive seen where people used it and did the job right as im thinking/sure you are going to do...

One of the reasons for the site is for info and seeing builds...but all info and all precautions

Dont get all defensive ...

Trust me if i was going to pick at it i would wait till you screwed up then I would... Thats lol

MaMikee
09-02-2021, 05:43 PM
I don't care if people criticize - just do it constructively.

Here is what the splashwell looks like - holocaust! 10 large holes, big cracks on the left, spider cracks on the right. Need to smooth this up before the pour. Also patch the hydraulic line hole at the bottom since I have bulkhead mounts now.

MaMikee
09-07-2021, 11:58 AM
This is the board that was holding the trim pump. HUH? Two bare 2x6's with 2 metal straps holding them together and angle irons on the bottom. Top was poorly glassed. It will be a pleasure to replace this.

MaMikee
09-13-2021, 06:39 PM
[ Slow progress because I'm reorganizing the shop. Eventually I'll get down to the router table which I need next ]

Bought new bilge plugs (need 2, one for each sponson) from Napa auto parts of all places. About half the price of most marine outlets. Order on web, ship to store.