PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley trim question.......

Rampager
06-11-2003, 06:43 AM
I have a Glen L Rampage hull with a 460/12JG combo. The 460 is putting out close to 500 HP (I think). The pump is in near new condition and it spins just a hair under 5000 rpm.
Anyway the hull porposes at speed and it needs just a hair of downtrim to keep the pump fed. I think I'm in the 70's already but from the few times weight and water conditions have kept the hull "planted" it has really kept pulling and I want that feeling all the time.
I located a guy with an origional complete Berkeley trim unit for sale. Its quite cheap and I can't afford a PD at the moment so I figure this will do. I'm told the unit is complete or I wouldn;t consider it. My main question is this:
From the Berkeley schematics I have seen the steering cable looks different than mine. I believe mine is a quicksilver(?) and it has a rather long threaded portion where it comes thru the transom housing. On the Berkeley drawings it looks like this area is smooth and the ridgid cable "extension" part that actually bolts to the steering arm looks much shorter than mine. Does anyone know if a "stock" steering cable works with a Trim-Adjust unit???
Does anyone know anything about these electric units in general?
I'm going to go look at it tonight and perhaps buy it. I can likely just use the up/down casting portion and make the rest work but it would be nice to "bolt on and go".
Any thoughts?

This is the unit I think:

http://www.berkeleyjet.com/products/255.asp

http://www.berkeleyjet.com/products/256.asp

And my boat:

www.geocities.com/toguy12345/bsmall.jpg

www.geocities.com/toguy12345/pass2.JPG

Cheers......

Rampager
06-16-2003, 08:26 AM
I got the trim unit installed and tested it on the weekend. It makes a HUGE difference on my hull.

I didn't have to change any parts of the steering to mount the new unit. I did have to fabricate a few small parts that were missing.

All in all for anyone who's putting off buying a trim unit, DON'T!
This makes the boat handle way better, accellerate faster with basically NO bow rise at all and the roostertail is cool too ;)
My passengers will love that the porposing is gone too.
Cheers

toyomirage02
07-01-2003, 01:38 AM
a buddy of mine has a older eliminator with a 460 punched out to a 467or 466 think and its about ur same hp. we moved the boat to center streering took out the wood deck in the front,lowered the seats painted the boat yellow ,lime green flames,he also has a loader scoop,the boat is runnin in the mid 80's at the moment, he also put the trim on it,but its manuel,a plce diverter they call it. he loves it ,it picked up the bow a quit abit,the rooster tail is monsterous.how fast does urs run?

waterslinger
09-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Men I have a hyd. PD and love it. Some guys I know with a manual have a hard time cause
the sweet spot will be just before the next notch. With the hyd. set up you can stop it any were you want. When you get a chance upgrade to the hyd. unit.