PDA

View Full Version : HELP. 95 Jeep Cherokee front end

WharfRat
06-10-2003, 08:56 PM
Hey guys, just developed what feels to be a NASTY wheel hop at 55mph & up (tried driving past it) I've traded out 3 different tires on the front end & it's still there. I see no defects, etc. but I noticed when I jacked it up on the pass. side I could muscle it to turn both front wheels. Upon further observation, it "looks" toed out bad, what component would cause this ?? I need some help. it feels real dangerous at 55+ (it's a 2 WD)

Thanks

Scott

WharfRat
06-11-2003, 09:06 PM
ttt

BL, any input ????

Rickracer
06-11-2003, 09:33 PM
...slide underneath, and have an assistant wiggle the wheel back and forth an inch or two. Check inner and outer tie rod ends, and the drag or center link. You're bound to find something with play in it. I always clamp my fingers on either/both sides of a joint, and you can feel if there is slack in it. I'm not sure if that one has it, but many Jeeps have steering stabilizers, like a shoch hooked up to the steering linkage. If it has one and it's worn out, that could actually some cause some shaking. Check the tightness of your wheel bearings too while you're at it. Let me know if I can help. :cool:

eautosales
06-11-2003, 09:45 PM
most shops will check the frt end free
95 % of shakes is tire related bad tire bent rim out of balance
etc etc etc
like rick said check the frt end for looseness make sure steering wheel is un locked
jeeps tend to wear out the long connecting tie rod & the steering dampners tend to leak, look for dampness at the base of the piston
(it looks like a shock) if it is damp replace it cost aprox $50
& its a no brainer cut n dry

eautosales
06-11-2003, 09:47 PM
oh yes like rick said check the wheel bearing ( hub assembly)
it is a sealed bearing & a little pricey but the go bad often on jeeps is it a 4X4

WharfRat
06-12-2003, 06:53 AM
thanks guys, I looked at it again last night, the 2 rubber bushings(outter) on what I think is the tie rod ends are cracked & didn't seem to have any grease in them, also, that shock dampener sure seemed weak, but no fluid around it. I greased it last night & will let ya'll know. Thanks again for the help
(FYI, what is wierd is that it was fine on the way to work & it started on the way home in the afternoon)