PDA

View Full Version : 38 Scarab Raider Project

Corey A
06-10-2021, 02:07 PM
Afternoon, I’ll be picking up what appears to be a fairly decent 38 Raider later this month. I’ve know about this boat for 10 + years since it was last for sale in NY; been looking for a good 34 or 38 for years and this one kinda fell in my lap after wasting 20hrs going to look at a soggy wet noodle Scarab Sport. It looks mostly unmolested besides the rear bench being moved fwd and possibly non factory front bolsters. Hard to tell on the seats since only 5 or so of these were built and I literally have only seen 3 or 4 factory pictures. The boat is currently rigged with a set of 300 Loopers on a set of smoked Gil Brackets. I have secured 2 NOS Gil Brackets out in Mich. I’m up in the air as to the extent I’m going with this one; depends on how soft it is. I’d like to keep the boat original as possible, so all work will be done with that in mind. I havent decided on power yet. I have a line on some mod loopers and another line on a trio of 2.5 Carb 7 petal 200 Mercs. I’ll try to keep the thread updated and post some pics. Thanks.

MattGreen
06-10-2021, 06:59 PM
Cool boat, keep us updated. Big boat even for V8s, what does it run ? Out of curiosity, were Raiders solid glass or cored ?

Matt

Corey A
06-10-2021, 08:19 PM
Cool boat, keep us updated. Big boat even for V8s, what does it run ? Out of curiosity, were Raiders solid glass or cored ?

Matt
Thanks, the options were twin V8s or trip 200s according to some wellcraft aficionados.
Said to run in the low 60s; that must be at best. Raiders were the same construction as KVs. There is mention of kevlar in some Raiders but the information is extremely limited.

sonicss33
06-10-2021, 08:58 PM
JMHO. Stick with twins if possible. Going to triple 2.4’s is not going to net you more speed, only more headaches. I owned a 33’ Sonic with 3 2.4’s and it was a powerhead eater. Not enough torque in them. Good luck. ��

Corey A
06-10-2021, 09:50 PM
JMHO. Stick with twins if possible. Going to triple 2.4’s is not going to net you more speed, only more headaches. I owned a 33’ Sonic with 3 2.4’s and it was a powerhead eater. Not enough torque in them. Good luck. ��

Thats what I’m leaning twards, rerigging the whole dash for trips would be a pita too..

Corey A
06-28-2021, 08:58 PM
Well much to my dismay the boat was much more of a full blown project then anticipated. I passed on it. Back to the drawing board....

MattGreen
06-29-2021, 07:37 AM
You made the right call. I bought a Scarab of the same era and the deeper I got the worse it got....should have passed :rolleyes:
Soggy Scarabs seem to be the norm. What else are you looking at ? Have you considered a Tempest Europa ?

Matt

Corey A
06-29-2021, 09:57 AM
You made the right call. I bought a Scarab of the same era and the deeper I got the worse it got....should have passed :rolleyes:
Soggy Scarabs seem to be the norm. What else are you looking at ? Have you considered a Tempest Europa ?

Matt

Thanks for the encouragement Matt! Yeah it just wasnt right, I almost cried, lol! Funny you mention that. Yes I love those Tempests, also the 34 Raiders and 30’ Superboats. Hard to find a bigger classic O/B sportboat.

Turborr
06-30-2021, 04:03 PM
Big outboard sportdecks are becoming real hard to find these days. Rarely you see an outboard powerplay or superboat or tempest for sale. When you do...they are sold within a couple days. When you find a scarab or a stinger, you have to check them through if they havent been redone. If you do find one...spend a couple more $ to make sure that you have updated power.

Corey A
07-01-2021, 06:18 AM
Big outboard sportdecks are becoming real hard to find these days. Rarely you see an outboard powerplay or superboat or tempest for sale. When you do...they are sold within a couple days. When you find a scarab or a stinger, you have to check them through if they havent been redone. If you do find one...spend a couple more $ to make sure that you have updated power.

Well said, I agree. They dont stick around long once they pop up. I’m keeping my eyes peeled. There are a handful of O/B boats that’d work for me but I prefer a sport boat.