PDA

View Full Version : Ventura pad

Jmr1974
04-25-2021, 03:29 PM
Last fall when I flipped my boat over (hull up) on the trailer to store it outside for the winter I got my first good look at the bottom. I noticed someone previously filled the pad in so it was flat with what appears to be auto bondo.... why would somebody do this? It should be concave correct? Looks like I got some digging to do to find the original pad. I’m really curious why they did this, what would be the downside of a flat pad on a Ventura?

LakeFever
04-25-2021, 04:40 PM
Bondo has talc in it but fairing compound looks similar. If it’s bondo it needs to go if it’s fairing compound? It can stay but the flatness of the pad? I’m no expert but a hook in the pad works kind of like a spoiler on a car. A spoiler uses air to push the rear of the car down and a hook pushes the bow of the boat down. Most restorations involve flattening the pad and sharpening all edges. This combine with the right engine height results in a zero trim set up and runs flat, and fast. That’s the gyst of it as far as I know.

Mine has a very slight hook, I’m still undecided whether I’m going to flatten it or leave it.

Jmr1974
04-25-2021, 04:48 PM
Bondo has talc in it but fairing compound looks similar. If it’s bondo it needs to go if it’s fairing compound? It can stay but the flatness of the pad? I’m no expert but a hook in the pad works kind of like a spoiler on a car. A spoiler uses air to push the rear of the car down and a hook pushes the bow of the boat down. Most restorations involve flattening the pad and sharpening all edges. This combine with the right engine height results in a zero trim set up and runs flat, and fast. That’s the gyst of it as far as I know.

Mine has a very slight hook, I’m still undecided whether I’m going to flatten it or leave it.
A Ventura’s pad is concave the long way along the running surface (no hook) if that makes any sense, not flat like all other streams I’ve seen. My hull was a comp hull, maybe that’s why the guy flattened it but really have no clue as to why...

Jmr1974
04-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Hopefully transomstand chimes in, he knows his chit about these venturas.

transomstand
04-25-2021, 05:01 PM
Ventura pad is concave and should have a hook, mine has about 1/2". And I'm not getting into one of those wedge/hook debates because they are stupid. The bottom is not straight and that's all that matters.

This could be a major problem in a resto. Hulls have been ruined by bottom modification geniuses.

Jmr1974
04-25-2021, 05:15 PM
Ventura pad is concave and should have a hook, mine has about 1/2". And I'm not getting into one of those wedge/hook debates because they are stupid. The bottom is not straight and that's all that matters.

This could be a major problem in a resto. Hulls have been ruined by bottom modification geniuses.I really think the guy used auto bondo I’m going to dig it out and find the pad. To me it’s not going to be a “problem” the boat was basically a flower planter when I picked it up, even had a shrub growing out of one of the seats. I’m Balz deep in this and pressing forward.

transomstand
04-25-2021, 05:28 PM
Yea, could be a little late to stop now. Hopefully you can chip it away to the original gel coat. It really needs to be a felony for amateurs to do that to a Stream.

Jmr1974
04-25-2021, 06:00 PM
Yea, could be a little late to stop now. Hopefully you can chip it away to the original gel coat. It really needs to be a felony for amateurs to do that to a Stream.
I’ll go about it just like I did when I dug out the core, very carefully when I’m getting close, slow up and don’t poke a hole. I wondered why when i got down to the pad of the grinding stage it was convex... now I know, which leads me to believe that the original pad is intact. Just need to find it... I guessing the guy just roughed up the gel coat so the bondo would stick, it’s that half ass looking.

LakeFever
04-25-2021, 06:15 PM
Pardon re “flatness” I meant straightness plus I did not know the pad was concave but I was referring to fore/aft flat. You can usually use a coned twisted wire brush head on a mini grinder to remove bondo without damaging tin and most likely this would work on fiberglass. I doubt the wire brush would chew into the glass. Might be worth a try you can remove bondo quickly this way

Jmr1974
04-25-2021, 07:10 PM
Pardon re “flatness” I meant straightness plus I did not know the pad was concave but I was referring to fore/aft flat. You can usually use a coned twisted wire brush head on a mini grinder to remove bondo without damaging tin and most likely this would work on fiberglass. I doubt the wire brush would chew into the glass. Might be worth a try you can remove bondo quickly this way
Yes sir, I’ll give that a shot when I flip it back over. The boat needs a lot of work on the bottom so I’m not to worried about messing up the gel coat, probably just gonna paint the entire boat. Thanks for the tip, now get back to work on your boat. Lol.

rgsauger
05-02-2021, 09:15 AM
Careful on the wire brush because it actually will eat right through fiberglass. Ask me how I know....

transomstand
05-02-2021, 09:53 AM
Careful on the wire brush because it actually will eat right through fiberglass. Ask me how I know....

:iagree: Works just like a grinder.

transomstand
05-02-2021, 09:56 AM
I’m not to worried about messing up the gel coat

You want to worry about it. It's your only guide to restore the shape of the bottom correctly.

Jmr1974
05-02-2021, 02:02 PM
You want to worry about it. It's your only guide to restore the shape of the bottom correctly.
Absolutely, I should’ve worded it differently.

Jmr1974
05-02-2021, 02:11 PM
486382486383Seriously slacking off this weekend. epoxied the top of my t-nuts, tapered the thickened epoxy away from the nuts, just gotta sand the epoxy down a bit then finish glassing the seat box. Also glassed my shifter block front and back, just gotta let it cure then tab it to the hull. I should have got way more done this weekend but it’s awfully nice out today.

Jmr1974
05-02-2021, 03:55 PM
486382486383Seriously slacking off this weekend. epoxied the top of my t-nuts, tapered the thickened epoxy away from the nuts, just gotta sand the epoxy down a bit then finish glassing the seat box. Also glassed my shifter block front and back, just gotta let it cure then tab it to the hull. I should have got way more done this weekend but it’s awfully nice out today.
Anybody know how I can move this one thread to my build thread? I meant to have this there... don’t want to get to many threads going with multiple different things going on.

transomstand
05-02-2021, 05:40 PM
Anybody know how I can move this one thread to my build thread? I meant to have this there... don’t want to get to many threads going with multiple different things going on.

Yer screwed. An admin would have to do it but it would probably get all jumbled up in there.

Jmr1974
05-02-2021, 06:18 PM
Yer screwed. An admin would have to do it but it would probably get all jumbled up in there.
Oh well. Live and learn. At least it will be in here somewhere if I ever want to find it.