PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 200 changing over to 225

JoJoBasser
04-03-2021, 08:11 PM
I need some help.....
I have a 1996 Johnson 200 Venom that I have changed the reeds, throttle bodies and carbs over to the larger ones for a 225. I am having a problem getting it to run right. The boat wants to bog down and load up when trying to take off. I can get it to idle on muffs and it would idle for a short period in the water but would not get up on plane. Can anyone give me some direction here??

Instigator
04-04-2021, 08:07 AM
Buy a real manual and do a “link and sync”.

Case of beer says, all six of your carbs are not opening/closing at the same time.

If its off, it will start hard, idle for **** and bog upon acceleration.

The fuel circuitry of those carbs are engineered so that, at start up and idle, the butterfly’s need to be fully closed.

They have three circuits.
Idle, mid range and high speed.

If your butterflies are cracked at idle, the carbs are pulling fuel from the idle and mid range circuits and will be pig fat rich.

It may even start/idle fine on muffs but not at the ramp.
This is due to the exhaust back pressure that you now have due to exhaust being under water.
This makes a pig fat rich condition, 50% worse.

Fix it then I’ll tell you where to ship the beer ��

Instigator
04-04-2021, 08:28 AM
I did make a couple of assumptions:

1. That you have the correct 225 carbs for that motor.
They should either have slotted screws for idle adjustment (which suck) or allen screws sunk into the face of the card that you’ll have to look for.
Those are the best.
If you have either of those we are also assuming that they are set and adjusted properly.

2. That they are jetted correctly for that motor.
You can verify this in the parts breakdowns at epc.brp.com

3. That you have the medium bore carburetors for the 225’d and not the big bores from the first V-6 loopers of 86 and 87 which are huge and would be tough to tune accordingly.

JoJoBasser
04-04-2021, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the reply!!!

I have carbs and throttle bodies from a 1992 225. The carbs only have jets which are the slotted ones that are in the face of the carb. I have a couple different sets of carbs as well. As far as I can tell there where only 2 different carbs small and large so I now have the larger ones, this was the difference I found in the parts diagram I found online.
I am trying to find the jet sizes now so I can check to make sure I have the correct ones because that is the only adjustment I have with these carbs.

I have a seloc manual as well and went through the sync.

Instigator
04-04-2021, 07:49 PM
Ahh, a local boy.

Yep ‘92 carbs would make them fixed jets.

So you’re kind of on your own figuring out jetting.

A ‘92 would have had the much more restrictive air box than yours so you can’t go by what it used.

JoJoBasser
04-06-2021, 11:46 AM
Do you have any suggestions on where to start?
I looked up the 1996 and it has different carbs but the idle was a 30 with a adjustment screw.

rgsauger
04-25-2021, 08:24 PM
Welcome to Scream and Fly, Jojo. You might also hit up James Perry - Wrechin2 - on here. He's a beast for building OMC's that haul the mail.

https://www.screamandfly.com/member.php?2662-wrechin2

mrichartz
04-25-2021, 09:16 PM
Did you do anything other than the carbs when working on it..
Like he said get the factory manual especially if you haven't worked on them. The seloc are pretty usless

Baker343
04-25-2021, 10:54 PM
Make sure you run the air box for the 225 carbs

powerabout
04-26-2021, 01:18 AM
I need some help.....
I have a 1996 Johnson 200 Venom that I have changed the reeds, throttle bodies and carbs over to the larger ones for a 225. I am having a problem getting it to run right. The boat wants to bog down and load up when trying to take off. I can get it to idle on muffs and it would idle for a short period in the water but would not get up on plane. Can anyone give me some direction here??
how heavy is the boat, what prop are you running?