PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha question (fishing boat)

at100plus
06-04-2003, 09:12 AM
A little off topic here but my buddy is looking at a 1989 Chris Craft Sea Hawk center console with a 1989 225 Yamaha Excel. I just want to check the motor out for him. As far as I know, all Yamaha's are great fishin motors. Anyone know of any bad years or models? I have the serial #, is there anyplace I can check it out online or anything.

I looked at the boat, it looks like a good quality solid boat. Any info on that?

VectorPat
06-04-2003, 12:51 PM
Salt water can be hard on those older motors..They had a steel shift shaft that would rust in two and the trim motors and steering arm would also rust badly..Do the usuall checks like compression and gearlube then run it...If it has never been apart keep an ear open for possible wrist pin noise..I have heard of a few beating them out..As far as running they are a nice motor though...

Ray Neudecker
06-04-2003, 12:54 PM
The Excell or 225 was one of the strongest most reliable engines Yamaha ever built in a 2.6 liter. Built from 1987-1989 with 2.75 thousands clearance. The racers choice to modify. Run forever in stock trim.

at100plus
06-04-2003, 12:58 PM
This boat has no bottom paint, it seems it has always been trailered. Great condition, no corrosion visible.

Thanks for the reply.

Yamaha 225
09-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Remember that it has only 14 amp power output and that is NOT at idle. If he want to fish with a electric trolling motor, run the stero, the nav.lights and everything, he should chose the 225 "B" instead of "A" which is the same as the Excel. that engine has a 25 amp. system.

I have powertrim and powerlift going much of the time and the engine is not strong enough to held the battery in shape.

BUT the engine runs fine!! Even 950 houres on by race/pleasure boat is no problem.

Best Regards
Erik A. Eriksen NORWAY