PDA

View Full Version : MERCURY 1998 200 EFI cuts off intermintely

olhardhead
11-20-2020, 11:28 PM
My 200 EFI just shut's down while running at speed or idle it's done this six times since Jan of this year. Engine was rebuilt last year in September. It will start normally after a undetermined time (in other words it will start when it feel's like it) I use the boat on Toledo so it's worthless to me doing this we run faaaarrr sometimes.... I changed the 20year old ignition switch just for grins and changed both voltage regulators after I noticed on the voltmeter on my electronics that they were putting out 15-17volts out sometimes. It shut down a short time after doing that. Voltage to the switch panel is now showing 13-14volts as it should so stator and regulators are working as they should. Could the detonation control module shut the engine off? I've dug around in the wires (I'm a retired avionics spark chaser guy) to no avail...any suggestions? It's pretty hard to fix something that ain't broken...

XstreamVking
11-21-2020, 03:03 PM
I had one that had a trigger doing the same. Just swapped parts until I found it. It would test good at the house and die on the water only to re-start after 1/2 hr.

olhardhead
11-21-2020, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, Mine will also start normally after a while but I haven't been able to time it to see how long it is. It's happened six times since jan 2020. I've heard things about the detonation control module being kinda squirily but don't know if it can kill the ignition and stop the motor from running...fuel pump tests fine....donno....

1989 champion
10-17-2021, 01:09 PM
I just had the same issue ended up being the trigger.

half fast
10-17-2021, 04:31 PM
It’s over charging . The ecu will shut down to save itself around 17 volts . While you restart it pulls down the voltage . Just replace both regulators . Hf…

rgsauger
10-17-2021, 09:48 PM
Welcome to Scream and Fly! Bunch of good guys and info here. You might want to post your question in the Technical forum to get more responses.