PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat Lower Unit

spbutler
07-29-2020, 11:22 AM
I primed and sprayed Etec with their Dark blue spray can.
It came out pretty good but thought a light wet sand and clear coat would last longer.
Would just any clear laquer spray can work?
Any recomendations? They have a Rustoleum Acrylic Laquer at the auto store.

David - WI
07-29-2020, 11:52 AM
It depends what kind of paint the "dark blue spray can" had in it?

Note: Do not use Rust-Oleum Acrylic Lacquer over existing air-dried enamel paints.

https://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/RustoleumUSA/TDS/English/CBG/Automotive/ATO-14_Automotive_Acrylic_Lacquer_TDS.ashx

kellytheaker
07-30-2020, 03:40 PM
i am not a big fan of spray bomb and it may peel - generally spraying lowers with out putting a good vynl wash primer to aid in adhesion then a good 2 part topcoat is preferred but you have started into it and yes you may be able to topcoat with a laquer spray bomb and get a decent short term answer - why not you have started why not finish but dont expect it to stay long .
the above post is correct - you cannot spray laquer over enamel because the thinners in the top coat attacks the enamel and usually wrinkles unless sprayed very dry - orange peel finish and that is even difficult with a spray bomb

vnemous
07-30-2020, 05:59 PM
Orange peel finish might be faster just sayin:D

spbutler
07-30-2020, 06:00 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll just stick with the Evinrude and no clearcoat. It came out good enough.

OTE=kellytheaker;3223583]i am not a b

ig fan of spray bomb and it may peel - generally spraying lowers with out putting a good vynl wash primer to aid in adhesion then a good 2 part topcoat is preferred but you have started into it and yes you may be able to topcoat with a laquer spray bomb and get a decent short term answer - why not you have started why not finish but dont expect it to stay long .
the above post is correct - you cannot spray laquer over enamel because the thinners in the top coat attacks the enamel and usually wrinkles unless sprayed very dry - orange peel finish and that is even difficult with a spray bomb[/QUOTE]