PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Magnum Marine Sport 27'

Dr Wayne
05-03-2020, 07:20 PM
New to me as of today! She followed me home after a test ride in the St. Clair River today. 454 BB. Cockpit was redone a few years ago, interior is still gutted. Needs carpet and cushions. Some gauges need to be fixed (corrosion/blown fuse etc) She needs two batteries and the second one needs to be wired to the battery switch.

All in all a few minor fixes needed. If I get started now maybe I can bring it up North to the lake for the 4th of July!

Anyone care to walk me through installing thru-hull exhaust? :D

largecar91
05-04-2020, 08:18 AM
An engine powered boat on the water in Michigan:eek:. What were you thinking??? Very cool old boat.

FUJIMO
05-04-2020, 10:11 AM

...If I get started now maybe I can bring it up North to the lake for the 4th of July!

:D

...What the hel l are you talking about? You ARE "up north!";)

FUJIMO
05-04-2020, 10:13 AM
...Oh, almost forgot doc...Welcome To Scream & Fly!:thumbsup:

Instigator
05-04-2020, 11:08 AM
Gorgeous pc of history!

Congrats

Dr Wayne
05-04-2020, 07:25 PM
An engine powered boat on the water in Michigan:eek:. What were you thinking??? Very cool old boat.

Well, our wonderful dictator has allowed us peasants to use our boats now.

Dr Wayne
05-04-2020, 07:26 PM
Thanks! I signed up for an account a long time ago, lurked a while, stopped boating for a few years now getting back into it. :thumbsup:

Dr Wayne
05-04-2020, 07:27 PM
Gorgeous pc of history!

Congrats

You BUILT that boat? WoW! :eek:

Nice job!

Dr Wayne
05-06-2020, 08:06 PM
Well, I was informed yesterday that this particular boat is not a TRUE Magnum Marine. I spoke with two people that are familiar with the boat and the person who owned it years ago.

I'm a little bummed, but I bought it for the looks not so much the lineage. Still an nice looking boat with a 454BB. I just want to get out on the water and have some fun!

Instigator
05-07-2020, 07:17 AM
No.

If it’s a well built copy of a Magnum, so what?

Tons of them from Fla builders and done built as well or better than the orig.

What is mfg name listed on title?

You BUILT that boat? WoW! :eek:

Nice job!

Dr Wayne
05-07-2020, 04:12 PM
That was my thought too. Now I won't feel bad about cutting holes in the transom for the thru-hull exhaust.

Believe it or not the title says Magnum Marine. I guess there was a period of time when HIN were not actually on the hulls and this guy faked a number or re-used a number (probably illegally) I heard there were a number of threads on the internet about this particular boat. If you measure the chines it is not correct and some other differences. Kind of like you buy a Ford Cobra and find out it was a kit car.

I really don't care I just want to run it.

Instigator
05-07-2020, 05:25 PM
What brand are you thinking it is?

Switching VINs is big time. As in doing time.

Common in Fla.

Great attitude though.

Old boats don’t hold their value or appreciate like classic cars so it makes it way easier to make it what you want.

That was my thought too. Now I won't feel bad about cutting holes in the transom for the thru-hull exhaust.

Believe it or not the title says Magnum Marine. I guess there was a period of time when HIN were not actually on the hulls and this guy faked a number or re-used a number (probably illegally) I heard there were a number of threads on the internet about this particular boat. If you measure the chines it is not correct and some other differences. Kind of like you buy a Ford Cobra and find out it was a kit car.

I really don't care I just want to run it.