PDA

View Full Version : Ford Guru's - Need help - 2014 Focus

Stoker1
04-16-2020, 05:57 PM
Drove my daughters 2014 Focus hatchback automatic today and noticed the key was sticking. Wiggle, wiggle, and a decent tug enough to get your attention later, and it came out. Its fully in PARK also.

Got home and asked her if she'd noticed it and said 'yes' :rolleyes:. Would be great if I knew about it sooner.

I'm on an isolated base in the Caribbean so finding a real mechanic is going to be a challenge... and I ain't one either.

Thanks!

Turborr
04-17-2020, 07:52 AM
A longshot...but spray a little wd40 in the lock with the straw.

kellytheaker
04-17-2020, 09:35 AM
Just be aware of the steering wheel is not loading the mechanism as well - just take some pressure off the switch by moving wheel back and forth . and as stated above lube the mech, and as well as the rest of the locks on the vehicle - show it some love and check oil level -

SS Minnow
04-17-2020, 09:37 AM
A longshot...but spray a little wd40 in the lock with the straw.

DO NOT DO THAT. Absolutely a terrible idea.

I have used Electronic Parts Cleaner on ignition switches before. Did not spray it into the switch. Sprayed it on the key, inserted into switch, rotated key, remove, wipe key with clean cloth, repeat.

https://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/crc/05703/image/4/

Forkin' Crazy
04-17-2020, 12:14 PM
I got on YouTube when I first read this. Although I couldn't find the exact year, this seems to be a common problem. It doesn't look that hard to change out, but from what I gather, the key must turn/function.

Forkin' Crazy
04-17-2020, 12:19 PM
BTW if you lube the locks, use graphite dry lube. Any oil will be a dust magnet and cause the pins, etc to stick.

FUJIMO
04-17-2020, 01:19 PM
this is a bit weird sounding, but I had the same issue, same car, same year car, same daughter(just kidding)... Put the ignition key into the ignition & "lightly" tap the end of the key multiple times with something like the butt end of a screwdriver or equivalent. multiple soft taps. it aligns all the keys to the shape of how the key is cut & allows the key to go in & out more smoothly. found this online years back & it worked for us, I mean me...;)

Stoker1
04-20-2020, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys. I'll give it the ol taper-rooney and see what happens.
Probably going to just end up ordering the part w/key and call it a day.

- Steering wheel is straight, with no pressure on it when attempting. I've wiggled it while pulling on the key, pushed the selector forward to park, etc. Nothing.

For now though, she's leaving the key in the ignition (no one's gonna steal it).