PDA

View Full Version : Autoclave

Forkin' Crazy
03-21-2020, 01:32 PM
Why don't they use them to sterilize masks and protective clothing?

270F with steam at 15 PSI for a 30 min cycle.

CDave
03-21-2020, 01:37 PM
DUNNO? I think they use them for surgical instruments mainly.

Forkin' Crazy
03-21-2020, 02:11 PM
That is how we would sterilize petri dishes and media. Not sure why it wouldn't work.

mjw930
03-21-2020, 02:11 PM
Why don't they use them to sterilize masks and protective clothing?

270F with steam at 15 PSI for a 30 min cycle.

Many of the disposable products are paper based and can’t withstand the moisture. A significant portion of the new masks being made by companies like Haines are fabric based and can be cleaned. A local company in Daytona Beach that makes logo athletic gear has already retooled and is making reusable masks from the same synthetic material used in athletic clothing. It meets the M95 specs and can be cleaned and sterilized up to 100 times before it falls out of spec. They are getting the final testing confirmed and local hospitals will have them by the end of this week. They can make 10,000 / day and are hiring as many displaced service workers as they can. That’s called stepping up at the local level.

Forkin' Crazy
03-21-2020, 02:21 PM
Great news!!! It only makes sense!!!

Forkin' Crazy
03-21-2020, 04:30 PM
Many of the disposable products are paper based and can’t withstand the moisture. A significant portion of the new masks being made by companies like Haines are fabric based and can be cleaned. A local company in Daytona Beach that makes logo athletic gear has already retooled and is making reusable masks from the same synthetic material used in athletic clothing. It meets the M95 specs and can be cleaned and sterilized up to 100 times before it falls out of spec. They are getting the final testing confirmed and local hospitals will have them by the end of this week. They can make 10,000 / day and are hiring as many displaced service workers as they can. That’s called stepping up at the local level.

You don't have a link for that, do you? Not that I doubt, I want to pass it around!!!

mjw930
03-22-2020, 10:26 AM
https://www.news-journalonline.com/business/20200320/coronavirus-crisis-spurs-ormond-firm-to-make-face-masks-as-shortage-grows