PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Buddies- do they work?

Euroski
05-27-2003, 09:13 PM
I have had my share of different bearing lube systems on the trailers I have owned, but none with bearing buddies. Do they work to keep the water out? I'm in the process of replacing all my bearings, seals, grease and want something that works.

Barefoot Bob
05-27-2003, 09:51 PM
Just dont over fill them and use Lithium grease when re packing. Had the best luck with that grease. Just re pack every fall before you store the boat for the winter and you will have no problems.

RichS
05-28-2003, 07:47 AM
Best gaget made to keep the bearings in your trailer axles. Ya can't overfill them, when they get full they bleed the extra around the outside of the piston. Just keep the piston floating and a good tight fit on the hub ID and GO!! I,ve been using waterproof grease in them for years and "not a problem".

Barefoot Bob
05-28-2003, 12:33 PM
What I ment by not to over fill them is. DONT go and pump grease into them until the spring is compressed all the way, and the piston is pushed to the end of its stop. When the grease expands it will blow the bearing buddy into the ditch.

Techno
05-28-2003, 03:35 PM
They do what theyr'e supposed to do. Let you dump hot bearings in cold water without sucking in water. If you over fill them the hot expanded grease has to go somewhere and it's either out the seal, all over the rim or like B bob said.

gaineso
05-28-2003, 03:58 PM
Mine keep my wheels from rusting. Keeps grease all over my wheels, but my wheels are galvanized so they're ugly anyway. I've got Red Head brand from Wally-Werld. Towed to Palatka and launched and ran about 2 hours pulled out and drove home, 33 miles, at up to 70 MPH. Used an IR temp gauge and checked my tire and hub temps. Durango tires, at 40 PSI were 116, trailer tires at 45 PSI were 111 and trailer hubs were 104. Outside temp was 90. Last time I packed the bearings was in October. Just make sure the little red indicators are showing.

Barefoot Bob
05-28-2003, 10:19 PM
is the buddy bearing bra's. They are caps that slide right over the buddy bearings and keep the wheels pretty;)

sho305
05-28-2003, 10:40 PM
They have these chrome metal ones at walley world here. They work very nice and I have them on two of my boat trailers. These have the bleed hole if you overfill, and a rubber boot over the end(ahhh, errr; BRA!)(did have to be carefull here and clean the overflow off with carb cleaner, as it will make the boot slide on the grease...I mean the Bra Bob! lol! Do look nice though.). They fit tight, had to beat them in with a 2x4 and a 3lb. Had plastic ones fall off. One set I have is black and metal with a pin that comes out and a red band on it to show full, they work good too.

You have to do the bearings the first time, then keep the pressure on them. Also, check the seal in the back to see if it leaks grease, even a new one. I have one I can push the lube out the back and get all new grease in it, but it still holds pressure on the spring. The type with the bleed hole I can't do that, but they have newer seals. I still check them every two years or if they loose pressure.

Came home one night with my buddy, and saw fire coming out of his trailer wheel. Oops. Not going to happen to me;)

John G
06-01-2003, 09:45 AM
the plastic ones suck , they crack and fall out

j.iverson
12-15-2003, 12:48 AM
Yes they do, I've lost a couple plastic ones on the road too!

Ted Stryker
12-24-2003, 07:53 PM
My trailer will be getting wet bearings next.. Hub system alot like that of a Big Rig.. Uses 90 weight gear oil, and very quickly refillable.. Just drain and pour more in..

sho305
12-25-2003, 12:45 AM
I worked at a place that had utility trailers. They looked like they had bearing buddies, but had a rubber boot over the end. You took it off and there was a grease fitting in the middle. The grease went to the back bearing, and then pushed all the old grease out the front. About a hundred pumps it seemed and you changed all the grease in there out to new. The spindle was drilled for the grease to go down the center. Should have seen the spoo that came out after a month or two of running.:eek:

Barefoot Bob
12-25-2003, 01:26 AM
I saw the axles your talking about on a new Ranger trailer. Very sweet!!! Also had a real nice disc brake setup

j.iverson
12-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Bob, still footing? We met at our first tournament--1989 Minnesota state. You hurt your knee or something and didn't ski the second day when we were in mens novice. With the toe hold, I take it things healed fine. Should chat or get together on the water some time!

Barefoot Bob
12-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Great memory....I held back till 1992 and then started to play with the big boys...LOL

So did you compete after 89? We do need to hook up sometime. You can take my air chair for a spin:D

lilabner
12-26-2003, 09:51 PM
I tow 8500 lbs with 4 wheel disc brakes on a tandem axle..bearing buddies are ok but the brake heat causes regular grease to reach its drop point very quickly and turn to gravy...and a mess...most people with big rigs here in So Fla use Redline racing grease and have eliminated the problem..once grease reaches its drop point it's just junk oil...my brakes run so hot you can hear them sizzle and watch the smoke when I hit the water..I use s/steel Kodiak brakes and love them..the Tie Down engineering brakes were junk...

j.iverson
12-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Bob, I'm in! Have always wanted to try an air chair. Don't compete anymore, but did compete in Mens 1 for a few more years, high point was qualifying for nationals. Have had the urge to ease my way back into the sport, just don't have anyone that really understands what it takes to drive a decent pull. That, and I have really taking a liking to faster boats. It is kind of difficult to miss those backwards falls at 40 mph! New Ulm can't be too far from Spicer?? This could be interesting.
John

Barefoot Bob
12-27-2003, 08:06 PM
The Allison with a 21 Trophy really gives ya one hell of a firm pull at wide open throttle;) Standing in about 4 seconds:D

j.iverson
12-28-2003, 04:04 PM
Allison, sweet--How do you like it? I really want to upgrade to a Grandsport. Have a Hydrostream Valero now, at 17 1/2 feet would like to get something roomier and faster.

Psyco
01-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Trailer sales and repairs put food on my table and contribute to my kids collge fund. Yea,go ahead and use Bearing Buddies. My mechanics need all the work they can get.:D
Don't be lazy. Repack your trailer bearings at least once a year or don't and come see me for repairs and parts $$$$$$$$.
I use Bearing Buddies only cause they come in stainless and look nice. Repack my bearings once a year and NEVER pump grease in them.

YEA,I like Bearing Buddies.:cool:

gaineso
01-17-2004, 07:12 AM
I pack the bearings at least twice a year and use bearing buddies. Keep just a little pressure in them.