PDA

View Full Version : Replacing glass dash

Techno
05-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Just ground out the body filler on my dash fix and don't like what I did/see. The thing is all swiss cheesed up and even patching it is still going to be a lot of fairing to get it smooth, in a half blind spot too.(to the bottom of the shelf thinger)

The dash I want to replace is the upper one. It has had several gauges and fills. Now I'm thinking of cutting it out and putting a prelammed panel in it's place plus pushing down the "lower shelf" thinger there. This would increase the gauge size I could shoe horn in. I mean to push this panel down when bonding the dash in place, not much but as much as it will easily go.

Now-whats an easy way to make this thing? I've got other things to do and this is side tracking me but has to be done so's I can paint everything.
I was thinking of making a panel real thin, maybe only 1 mat and 1 cloth with the gel already on it and bond it in. Leaving the bond to finish and not the whole panel! Thin so I could bend it to the curve. Can I lamm it up flat or should I makemake (UGH) a form of some kind?
The thinness would be thickended up on the back after it was installed, thats the idea anyway. I'm wondering if the gel would flex enough???

PS i did grind out the bondo and will fill it with gelcoat instead, the rest of the dash.

Techno
05-27-2003, 07:58 PM
This is what it looked like before. This might be fine but sticking more holes in the patches already done and the ones the gauges are in now is just too much!