PDA

View Full Version : New here... new to jets

Kleckner
08-15-2001, 01:13 PM
Howdy everyone...

I'm new in this forum, and somewhat new to jet boating. Earlier this year I purchased a 1970 Sea Ray Pachanga SRX V-Hull with a 454 and a Berkeley 12JB. It has been undergoing a freshening, with new controls, interior, gauges, intake, carb, plumbing, etc etc etc.

I have been working on this project for quite a while now. I'm down to the last stages, sorting out the wiring. With any luck, it hits the water tonight!

Pics to come later.

HammerDown
08-16-2001, 09:58 PM
Sounds good,keep us updated and welcome to the JET WORLD!

Kleckner
08-20-2001, 08:11 PM
Made it to the water for the maiden voyage Thursday night. It went OK, except it started raining on us, and we sucked in some weeds.

Saturday, I just went to a local lake to contiue to tune the boat. I got yelled at by the Township Police. Time for the slip-in silencers.

It seems like I have too big of an impeller on right now. With a 454, open chamber oval port heads, stock cam, Edelbrock 750, Performer 2-0 manifold, it pulls about 4000 rpm at 40 MPH. Remember, the empty hull weighs something like 1200 pounds. Fully dressed, I guess 2500 without passengers. It also seems to leaning out at the top end. We halfway fixed the problem with just a metering rod change, and it pulled 4200-4300, but didn't get a speed. I now have the next size main jets, and I am swapping them in before the next outing.

HammerDown
08-20-2001, 09:37 PM
Don't be so guick to get a smaller imp!Do ya know the casting # of your G.M. heads?...if there 049's they are one of the best oval open chamber heads chevy made! You can build a real nice power plant around those heads!

Kleckner
08-21-2001, 05:01 PM
Don't worry, I'm not one to keep the same engine set-up for long. I really only have one option, MAKE MORE POWER! Winter project: pull the heads, bigger valves and a port job OR new Merlin cast iron heads. New roller cam and valvetrain to go with it. That should wake up the boat.

BTW, the heads are #346236. From what I have read, these are the "medium" oval port, open-chamber heads, somewhat desireable.