PDA

View Full Version : Installing Rub Rail ???

Ally 1988
05-27-2003, 03:25 PM
Do any of you guys have any tips started installing with screw Driver but stopped after about 1". I still have 40' to go any tricks to this would be greatly appreciated

bulldogdaddy
05-27-2003, 06:33 PM
haven't got that far on my project yet but was wondering about this. i am working on the metro at d.c. international airport and we are installing 24 ga. stainless steel panels. they have the fastner z-tabs installed to the panel with 3-m 2 sided adhesive tape. now you cannot pull this stuff apart! i am considering using this on my rubrail. anybody evey hear of anyone using a similar tecnique?

Techno
05-27-2003, 07:36 PM
If your driving alot of screws just use a variable speed drill. It don't have to be cordless or even have the stupid "screw" clutch on it.
If this is what your doing it's probably a could idea to ooze some spooge in the screw areas so the holes don't leak.

84exciter
05-27-2003, 07:40 PM
he's talking 'bout the insert

CrayzKirk
05-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Hi,

I put mine in a bucket of warm soapy water. I attached it at one end of the boat and worked around the boat keeping the insert in the bucket as I went. A bit more soapy water on the aluminum track helped a lot. Didn't take all that long and with someone helping, it goes even faster.

Good Luck!

Kirk

Turtleherder
05-28-2003, 02:11 PM
I used a heat gun to soften it up and make it more pliable so that it would go into the channel easier. It also helps to kind of pull and stretch it alittle as you push it in. Sounds kind of kinky doesn't it?

skidoo29
05-28-2003, 02:32 PM
I just did mine, left it in the sun for about 1/2 hour, made sure the bottom was in and used a paint stir stick to push the top in, tried a screwdriver once but it was too sharp and only let you push in about 5/16 each time, went pretty easy just make sure it is soft

warren

Ally 1988
05-28-2003, 05:48 PM
Yes it is just the rubber insert. I'll give it another try this friday.

Thanks for the help.

Gary S.

Rickracer
05-28-2003, 08:33 PM
....if you took an ice pic and bent it about 1 1/2" from the tip, and then again about another 1 1/2" above that, then dulled the tip, it would be about the same. I laid mine out in the sun for about an hour, then sprayed it with dry type silicone spray every few feet as I went, started the bottom groove with my left hand, laid the hose hook in the upper groove, and just basically walked around the boat like that. Took me about 1/2 an hour to do 50 feet of insert like that. :cool: The tool looked like this:

beko21
05-29-2003, 09:38 AM
Hey Rick, I'm looking for some black rub rail that is 3/4", I have the stainless or aluminum rail with black insert now, but I want just black rubber or hard plastic rub rail with predrilled holes, I've found some that is 1 1/8 tall but I would like something close to what I have now which is 3/4, thanks, Kevin:confused:

Rickracer
05-29-2003, 05:58 PM
...although there is a Taco part number that looks smaller, but gives no dimensions. We will check on that and let you know. :cool:

BRENT GILL
05-29-2003, 06:14 PM
Kevin , I can't find that book that I have on all the trim . If I find it I'll let you know . Sorry

Brent

yachter55
05-30-2003, 09:16 PM
TURTLE WAX CAR WASH SOAP IN WARM WATER AND A WOODEN SPOON .START WITH A HEAT GUN AT THE BOW JUST TO HELP GET THE TIGHT BEND . HEAT TILL WARM TO THE TOUCH ONLY,DONT USE HEAT ON THE LONG RUN.INSERT, BUT PULL ONLY THE FIRST 6 INCHES ON EACH SIDE,SPRAY SOAP AND PRESS IT IN WITH THE SPOON.WHEN YOU GET TO THE STEARN LEAVE AN EXTRA 6 ON BOTH SIDES,NEXT DAY CAP ENDS.GOOD LUCK

ponyboy
05-31-2003, 09:47 PM
CK THE WEST MARINE WEB SITE THEY HAVE SEVERAL TYPES OF RUBRAIL ALL SHAPES AND SIZES EVEN RUBBER ONLY STAINLESS ETC,

beko21
05-31-2003, 09:49 PM
Thanks to all, Kevin

Ally 1988
06-01-2003, 09:51 AM
Just about finished installing rub rail can't find enough time to finish anything in one day. But getting it warm and making a soapy solution does help alot a tool like Rickracer shows would be the ticket.
Now if I could only have my powerhead back and my lower unit I would be out on the water instead of reading about everyone elses day at there favorite Lake or River.

Again thanks for all the tips.
Gary S.