PDA

View Full Version : Dash is going!

Carlson150XS
05-26-2003, 09:40 AM
The plywood behind my 71 Carlson dash is falling apart but cockpit sides and back seem fine.
Do I-
1.Make a pattern from the old one,cut the old one out and reglass a new one in-If so what kind of plywood and how do I reinstall?

2.Or-somehow glass over it-

I think #1

Thanks for your help-

bulldogdaddy
05-26-2003, 09:42 AM
if it is falling apart,probably from dry rot, i would replace it.problem is it will probably fall apart trying to get it out. if that happens just get some cardboard and make a new template for it.

Techno
05-26-2003, 11:19 AM
I took mine out by using a chisel between the glass dash and the wood. It did damage the glass some but done carefully will seperate the 2. Just remember it's the wood that is trash and put the strain on that side.
The wood part should end up basicly in one peice. Even if it don't they aren't really complicated parts. This method saves the finished dash surface and with only a bit of work is fixed.
The plywood itself I laminated my own and didn't use cross grain, but thats me. 1/8" Walnut and it's not very thick.

Cut the glass tabs holding the wood in place and split the 2 apart.
Use marine plywood or furniture grade. These are the strongest. I mention furniture grade since you may be able to get a shelf made of this and save the extra bucks of not buying an unneeded sheet. Other plywoods have voids in them and aren't as strong.

Laminate glass on the back before you put it in. It's easier. Slather a filler mix on the wood and bond it in. A few glass tabs to bond the back to the boat. SEAL any holes drilled through it!
If your using the original holes use them as guides for the new holes. If not make sure you bevel the edges or the surface will crack. I found my filling job had cracked because I got lazy.
Any screw holes in my new fancy dash is getting over bored, filled with epoxy filler and the hole is going through that plastic. No exposed wood.

Karl817
05-26-2003, 02:18 PM
You have any pictures?

Carlson150XS
05-26-2003, 03:19 PM
For your replies and great detail!

Karl-It's a 71 16' Carlson-last year it was made-with a 1500XS on a jackplate-only two seats-
I think the dash will be a winter project. Worked on her Sunday-had for five years in water 3 times-finally ready to go-even with the dash problem-photos coming soon.
They are truely beautiful designs.
Jim