PDA

View Full Version : Sportscars

sms
05-20-2003, 07:26 AM
Any of you hot-rod types into sportscars or exotics?

CDave
05-20-2003, 08:17 AM
Lamborgini Countach

sms
05-20-2003, 08:53 AM
You win. Specifically, 1979 LP400s. Last Lambo legally imported that was exempt from big ugly bumpers.

Scream And Fly
05-20-2003, 09:44 AM
That car became the universal standard for what an exotic car is. It's such a cool car.

Greg

NPK2003
05-20-2003, 07:11 PM
Be Specific!

NPK2003
05-20-2003, 07:22 PM
This one was turned into a swimming pool, so to speak. When I sold it and gave the cash to my first wife, the next day the swimming pool contractors and landscapers arrived at the backyard of her new home that I also put a very healthy down payment on a few months earlier. This was a Koenig Factory built 308 GTS with a full race motor, headers, suspension and yes, full wing and downforce kit. My buddy's RUF 930 Turbo could and would get me in the straights, but I'd crawl up his one fat-ass tailpipe in the corners real quick. We sure had fun.
Nick K;)

NPK2003
05-20-2003, 07:31 PM
It's a REAL, not a add on kit ( note cloth seats only available in Fatherland) 1982 AMG Factory Built 500 SEC Benz. (Yes MB built 500 SEC's in limited production in Germany in 1982) Took 2 years to federalize car for USA. Still have it in storage, but needs some restoration. I put 165,000 miles on it driving between Milwaukee & Chicago everyday on business in mid-eighties. Then retired her.
She will run 165 mph sustained. Don't ask me how I found out.

Raceman
05-20-2003, 09:50 PM
Here's my buddies car. He has other Ferrari's also, but this is the crown jewel of his collection. After driving this, everything else I've ever ridden in is just a car. This car runs 0 to 60 in the 3's and claimed top speed is 220, although I've only driven it a little over 175 which is faster than the owner's been in it. I've probably driven it close to 500 laps at Road Atlanta and Roebling road. It handles and feels like a big go cart and is kind of a point and shoot car on a roadrace course as opposed to carving smoothe lines, at least at my skill level.

Ilovespeed
05-20-2003, 09:55 PM
That first countache is the car ive loved for so many eyars .. i ahve posters of it throughout my room .. that ferrari kicks ass ... well we have a nissan 350Z it comes no where close to what you guys have but its fun ..
Tyler

Jason Huber
05-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Buddy of mine has had numerous 308's, a 400i, 512bb. I actually really liked that big 400i - front engine config. like the newer Marinello... His best was a Testarossa :cool: Fastest I've ever gone on 4 wheels - 170+ with the a/c on!!:eek: WHAT A BLAST!:D

sms
05-21-2003, 09:15 AM
The Countach was my poster dream also, even named my dog Countach in 1983.(so I could say I had one) Then one day I found this. One owner, bought and stored in a collection. 900 miles, original everything, even tires and wiper blade. Because it sat so long (climate controlled fortunately) it was not running, but it did turn over so I took a chance. I rebuilt the carbs and ignition, replaced one section of scary fuel line and it fired right up, shaking my wifes dishes off the shelves in the house. This car caused quite a stir in my town of 600 people.

For you F40 guys, heres one at the track in South Haven, Mi.

sms
05-21-2003, 09:16 AM
engine

Jason Huber
05-21-2003, 09:17 AM
:cool:

Firestarter
05-21-2003, 10:01 AM
F40, a friend of my pops backed an F40 into a wall at mosport years ago at over 100mph............doh, cost him a cool Million at the time (cdn $)

RT

Jason Huber
05-21-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Firewalker
F40, a friend of my pops backed an F40 into a wall at mosport years ago at over 100mph............doh, cost him a cool Million at the time (cdn $)

RT The prodigious use of exotic metals/composites and chasing technology has its price!;)

Raceman
05-21-2003, 11:38 AM
I've got tons of pictures of the F40 at the track and a real cool video of in car camera laps of Road Atlanta. I've also got an incar video of a factory driver driving me around the track at the factory in Italy, but a lot of it's with my head and the camera slammed against the side of the car. When somebody bought one of these cars new, included was a tour of the factory and museum and a day at the track in Italy. The deal was for 2 people and there were about a dozen new owners on the trip we went on. Ferrari probably assumed that most guys would take their wives/girlfriends and we were a little concerned about people thinkin' we were a couple of fags for not doin' it, but of the 12, only 2 guys took wives, everybody else invited car buddies. There's nothin' like a full lock, full power slide at about 110 with the driver talkin' to you like he's just in slow traffic to get your blood pumpin'. This guy had over 50K miles on that track in the F40's and he could wheel em like he was playin' with toys.

Rob, the first car that the dealer in Atlanta sold was sold at 1.2 mil also. My friend's car was contracted at 1.2, but during the year and a half between the time the contract was written and the car was delivered, the bottom had fallen out of the market and the person who was to buy it renigged, walking away from a 200K deposit. My friend was able to buy the car for list price + luxury tax + sales tax which made it a little over 500K.

Raceman
05-21-2003, 11:45 AM
SMS, the car you pictured has the aftermarket exhaust. It really seems to help. I ordered it and put it on this car too. The one here is an early 92 model and had Pirelli P zeros on it, but I notice that the one in your picture has Goodyears. That either means it's a later 92 car or has replacement tires. It looks like the one in your picture has the carbon fiber race seats. I ordered those when we were in Italy and put them in the car, along with 5 point harnesses. This car has also had a brake upgrade, and a chip change, but is otherwise stock.

I went and got it out of storage 2 weekends ago and drove it to a car show along with a bunch of my stuff. They let me park everything I had there in a line together, and if anybody even looked at any of my cars I didn't see em. They'd go straight to the F40, then turn around and walk off without looking at the surrounding cars. The CBS affiliate here did a feature on the show which they aired on 3 news broadcasts and the background was of the F40 the whole time the newscaster was talking. I'll bet I could've made a fortune lettin' kids sit in it and gettin' their picture taken. Even being over 10 years old it's amazing how much attention it draws.

Firestarter
05-21-2003, 11:49 AM
When my dads friend crashed the car it was worth about 1 million canadian, it was owned by the dealership (gentry lane). When they called Ferrari for the parts to fix it (Gentry was the ontario ferrari dealership), Ferrari told them they did not have the parts and that they would have to send the car back for them to fix it. Gentry refused (later it was discovered it was because of $ problems).
Later Ferrari pulled the dealership and sold it to the current owner, this is the coles notes version, but the were/are serious cars, and Ferrari takes there cars seriously, they were mad that someone smashed up one of there cars.
Needless to say the car is still in a transport truck behind genty lane, now a Lotus dealership.

RT

sms
05-21-2003, 11:52 AM
Raceman, check out the current issue of FORZA magazine. There is a nice article about a guy who built an F40 track car from a burnt car. They did some nice little details.

sms
05-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Heres my MOM'S 67 330GT 2+2 at the track. She's 65. I spent all day woking on it to drive it home, so we never got out on the track this day, and now the car's sold. It was a pure joy to drive on the roads however.

sms
05-21-2003, 12:19 PM
And my old 308.

Raceman
05-21-2003, 01:09 PM
SMS, my buddy had the first 308 quatro valve that came into the country, then a Testerossa, a Boxer (512BBI), a Daytona Spyder, a 348 and a 355. He was on the list for an F60 but may not take it when it comes available. He's now down to the F40, 355 (wheels, slicks, suspension, chip), and Boxer, which is used only for Concourse showing. I'm not familiar with the Forza magazine. I let my Prancing Horse subscription expire last year and haven't paid dues this year for FCNA either, so I'm not seeing many magazines right not.

Rob, what's up with the car in the trailer? Did it get fixed? I know that when we picked the car up one of the guys said that the rear deck assembly was about 40 grand and the front wasn't far behind. Boy, talk about the need for splashin'. I've been trying to get my buddy to buy the plexiglass rear louvered window and put it up. Even though this car is hardly ever out, the window is beginning to show it's age and in another few years will probably need replacing to maintain the otherwise perfect appearance.

Firestarter
05-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Norris, the car is sitting in a car trailer...........to this day.

RT

P man
05-27-2003, 09:38 PM
I know (not to well) the owner of Gentry Lane
Really nice guy

snowmanmtl
06-14-2003, 09:13 PM
97 Twin turbo. Awesome acceleration cus of the 4wd. Eats tires though. Even with moderate driving I have to change the back tires every 5000 miles:rolleyes: . This was under 2cm of partially cloudy( according to the weatherman).

snowmanmtl
06-14-2003, 09:36 PM
:)

RedAllison
07-08-2003, 10:38 PM
There were faster, better handling and much more powerful European cars throughout its life (damn things been around as long as I have, the early 70s). But NOTHING had the shocking and visual impact of THE RAGING BULL!!!
I've heard for years that "Countach" was an Italian expression similar to "Oh My Gosh" here in America. Any truth to that? I thought Lambos were typically named after famed bulls and such.
The only European "exotic" I've ever had was a cherry lil 86 Lotus Espirit Turbo. Was a gem, had it a couple of years ago. Solid black over RED leather with only 29k actual miles. It was bad quick (only had a 250ish hp turbo 4cyl but the car only weighed a lil over 2k pounds!) and was a composite body over an aluminum monoqcue (sp) chasis that is similar to the way F1 and Indy cars are built. It provided for AWESOME handling. It literally would turn so hard it would hurt... But someone got on a plane from TX with CA$H and offered me $7k more than I had in it. Besides, at 6'4" 230, I WORE that lil car when I got in it. Looked like Tom Sellick in that old 308, lol ceptn Im MUCH more hansum than him!!!
Anyone seen the WICKED replicas of the Countach and Diablos that are out? You can get chromed tubular steel chasis with 500+ cui engines (like Donovans etc...) that feature working A/C, more interior space and a truly all around better performing car than the originals. And instead of paying $70k-+++ for the real thing you can find them used for under $30k. Same for Ferraris but they are HAMMERING the copiers and dealers of those fakes now in court!
How about the Ultima GTR? THOSE ROCK! A workin mans exotic that uses smallblock Chevy power, cost less than a Corvette and the ONLY thing you have to fear on the road is a McLaren F1 (they look very similar actually). LOL, a 220mph "exotic" that you can get tune ups and oil changes for at the local GM dealer!

NA$TY HABIT$ these damn kinds of cars are!!!
RA

ps
Back in 79 my stepfather had a 79 RUF 930 Turbo Rally (gray market, right drive even) and that thing would PUNISH you when you stood on it. Had rallyslicks as well and would practically pull the pavement off the road.

Ilovespeed
07-08-2003, 10:45 PM
NICE cars, maybe when i grow up (only 16) i will own something of this sort fo some fun on the side other than a boat, i have a champaigne taste but am on a beer budget :D
Tyler

BarryStrawn
07-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by RedAllison
I've heard for years that "Countach" was an Italian expression similar to "Oh My Gosh" here in America. Any truth to that?

I believe "Son of a Bitch" is a better translation.