PDA

View Full Version : First boat ideas

BoatlessVagabond
05-03-2019, 03:54 PM
Im hoping to get my first boat in the not too distant future. Looking for something i can take my 3 kids in, when they get a little older there will be tubing and skiing. But i also want to be able to haul ass when i feel like it, hence why im on this forum. So im looking for a good fast family boat. Preferably cheap. Oh and im just window shopping for now i dont need links to boats for sale. So far the best options i see are

1) Allison GS
2) Triad v21
3) whatever baja, checkmate, scarab, etc shows up on craigslist.

I live in upstate NY near the finger lakes, ill probably be on seneca mostly which is a mile or so wide, 30+ mile long lake and does get some good waves at times. So something that can deal would be good. Ive heard the Allison has a tendency to hook, but it seems like that is mostly from guys with big motors trying to get every last bit out of it. Should this worry me??

Oh and the donzi classic 22 is sexy as hell but seems like it takes way more engine to go fast. All boats are expensive but id rather have to fuel a v6 than a big block. Im not wealthy, hence why im doing my homework

Capt.Insane-o
05-03-2019, 06:38 PM
Choices 1 and 2. 2000's checkmates and hydrostream Vegas will do you well too. 1980's and 90' wad sop bajas and the like aren't even worth considering

BoatlessVagabond
05-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Thanks, ill keep an eye out for hydrostreams. Didnt realize they had anything family oriented, now i see they even have some open bow which im not opposed to. Although it seems like fast boats are almost never open bow, is there a reason for that?

Duro78
05-05-2019, 09:38 AM
Stick with outboards and stick to a hull that wont take a lot of seat time to get the hang of. Some of the hulls you named are more dangerous than the others. Take someone with you that can check the hours and do a Leak down test on the motor. Also check the hull for soft spots and moisture. Properly checking over the boat will prevent dumping as much if not more than you spent buying it. No matter what a seller says think to yourself they're all full of ****, check and verify everything. Repairs are extremely expensive so make sure your atleast starting off on the right foot. Best of luck and B safe

BoatlessVagabond
05-05-2019, 05:16 PM
Ok so based on the avoiding expensive repairs it seems like the Allison is a smart move since they have no wood right?
As for avoid dangerous hulls, which are the dangerous ones? Let me guess, Allison...
Also, im not a wild man, i like going fast and i look forward to learning to make a boat handle well. But im happy to learn how to do it as safely as possible. Ive spent plenty of time on boats, but mostly heavier slower deeper vees that you really cant get into trouble with. Ive also have a little seat time in race cars. Some stick time in the air. What im saying is im confident that with some help and a cautious approach i can learn to pilot a quick boat. I realize it will take time to do it safely. Which is why im starting by reading as much as i can at this point.

mikesufka
05-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Alison Grandsport - best 20 foot sportboat. They are fantastic.

MDS

aeneas
05-05-2019, 07:18 PM
Ok, I have no experience with an Allison Grand Sport but I owned an Allison SS-2000 for eight years... I came from a fast boat before but the Allison was on a different level. Looks, handling and build quality is second to none. Sure the Allison takes some seat time and setup but when you are there - it's on rails and a blast to drive!
I see it this way. You will save money by getting a proper boat to start with. You will grow into the speed. Instead of having to change boats because you 'know it' (=bored) you will already be at the level that you know you are on the edge... You will also have a boat where taking your family at 60-70 mph is fast but safe.

BoatlessVagabond
05-05-2019, 08:15 PM
Thanks everyone! So am i right in thinking i could get a boat, hopefully a GS, spend some time getting it dialed in, height, setback with say a 25in prop and have a quick boat that will pull skiers and have fun. Then after some more seat time get a 30in prop and be able to air it out solo or with a friend. Do you have to then adjust height or can you leave it a little low and maybe lose a couple mph but safely be able to switch without adjusting everything?

Duro78
05-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Thanks everyone! So am i right in thinking i could get a boat, hopefully a GS, spend some time getting it dialed in, height, setback with say a 25in prop and have a quick boat that will pull skiers and have fun. Then after some more seat time get a 30in prop and be able to air it out solo or with a friend. Do you have to then adjust height or can you leave it a little low and maybe lose a couple mph but safely be able to switch without adjusting everything?

The pitch of the prop will be dependent on the gear ratio of the drive and the rev limiter. The diameter will more or less remain the constant (14.5 in) but can vary. You'd want the best handling prop that can keep you within a particular rpm range without hitting the limiter. This will all be dependent on the hull and motor of course.

David
05-07-2019, 07:11 PM
Tubing, skiing, going fast, a GS sounds right. A Hydrostream would work too and could cost less, if you could find a well rebuilt one. Most of these are 30 + years old now.

I like the jackplate on my SS. I leave the motor lower in hopes of aiding prop and gearcase life except when I'm going fast. And I'm not convinced the same height is right for various people weight and prop combinations.

A little off the wall but an Ally bassboat could work just as well and there are more of these than Grandsports. The advantage of the GS is it was available with a factory ski pylon.

My family used my SS2000 as the cottage ski tube boat trip boat for a long time. A GS would be a better family boat, but again, the SS is easier to find.