PDA

View Full Version : "Project cheap BASSturd"...

RedAllison
05-15-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm kickin around the idea of buyin a boat with a lil more room for my 3 kids, wife and the umpteen bajillion bags of CRAP they require for a day on the water. Plus wouldnt mind an extra seat or two for other family/friends. (HELL NO I aint gettin rid of the Alli, just would like more room and tired of the kids scratchin her up and fillin her fulla mud!). I need something that handles barge and cruiser wakes on the TN River but its gotta go fast enough to pull skiers, tubers and I keep threatening to get an "Air Chair", so pontoons are out. Tritoons and deckboats are just more than my cheap ass wants to spend for a second or "beachboat".

There are TONS of old 19'-21' jets available for lil of nothing (under $5k) but I would have to have a bowrider for them to have the room I need. How much trouble is it to cut the deck out, split the console and glass in some sides on the consoles and then put a floor and interior up in the nose? I'm not worried about a speed demon, anything that would push into the 50s would be more than what I need from a "mudboat" for the kids to trash. I grew up around jets (my dad and family raced them in the 70s and early 80s) but they were mostly lightweight racehulls built by my dads cousin in Memphis (Sunkisst hulls). Hell I know I'm gettin old, I would want a motor hatch and thru-transoms so my kids wouldnt get burned and I would rather hear the stereo anyway.

I have always LOVED the old 20' Tahiti's but hulls like Taylor and Sleekcraft are much more plentiful in my area. Also what about making an old daycruiser into a bowrider/cuddy combo? While most of them are in CA, I've wondered how an old 22'-24' daycruiser would work if I cut the area forwardmost under the deck and left the cuddy seating intact? I just want room for at least 8 people, an open nose and it gets way to hot in west TN in July/August for a full on cuddy. The seats under there would be good for the kids when a rainshower pops up and would make a good place to put watertoys while moving, but its just too hot for regular seating.

Any ideas?
RA

xb4me
05-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Red, what you need is a Rochelle. They used to make open bow jet boats. I know a guy that used to have one. It was probably 20 or 21 ft, real roomy, and ran ok. It had a big block ford in it, so I'm sure it would've ran a lot better with a big block chevy! Anyway, start lookin' around for a Rochelle, it sounds like exactly what you need. Ron

John G
06-01-2003, 09:42 AM
nice boat

Techno
06-01-2003, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure but think the hull of a bow rider has a longer keel than one decked over. Maybe if the decked one has a cuddy cabin?
The bow rider has a lot more wieght to support up front than a regular boat does.
Most bow riders I've seen seem to have an almost square looking bow if you know what I mean. It don't slant back much.

Not sure but one of those skidoo jet boats? Might be big enough. turn em on a dime give ten toes change.

MADDOG355
06-01-2003, 08:17 PM
I just trashed a 18' caravelle cuddy with olds455 and jucuzzy jet that need a new floor, stringers and motor.:(

I couldn't give the boat away and needed the trailer so it got trashed.

Did you check Parkers marine in Paris? They sometimes get solid hulls in there that you can get with trailer for about 500-600 Most of them are for a OB but you might find something you like.

I will keep my eyes and ears open up this way for you, matter of fact I do know of a jet bass boat that has been somewhat converted for pleasure use, last price I heard last year was 2,500. let me know if you might be interested.

waterslinger
09-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Dude had the same deal Kids+gear+wife+more crap+food. My 18 foot jet has no room for it.
Got a 20foot Baja out law. 305 chevy, alpha out drive runs 55. Works good for family fun lots of room. I got 10k in it. Oh still got the jet.