PDA

View Full Version : outboard brakcet on inborad boat

Donat
05-13-2003, 08:59 PM
I have a question to you guys. I will install outboard bracket on my boat its the stainless marine one. My question is . Do I need support transom to hold 450 pounds Merc 200 hp? This is what Im planing. Just fix the outdrive hole and put one additional 3/4 inch playwood inide the boat. So my transom will be about 3" thick. Is that enough ? This is pic of my boat.
Please help me seson is comming?:confused:

TTriton
05-13-2003, 09:20 PM
YES!!! Many io boats don't have a real strong transom since they don't support weight so check real good. We did this once before and didn't check. It worked for a while till I was trying to really haul ass and I trimmed up the motors and hit a wake.. Big crash and a crunch and I looked back and my engine's were a bit farther back.. I had to limp home and then we had to do it the right way and build a strong transom... This might not be true for your hull but check real good..

Donat
05-13-2003, 09:33 PM
TTriton how did you check your transom?

TTriton
05-13-2003, 10:04 PM
by looking at it to make sure that it not just glass and that this is some kind of coreing there for support. Often I/O will be cored just around the opening for the outdrive unit and not cored all the way to the sides and from the top to the bottom.

Looper
05-14-2003, 08:10 AM
How are you going to mount an outboard with the integral platform in the way? There's no way you will be able to stick a 3' bracket on there to mount and outboard and have clearance to kick it up.

It would be large job to cut the platform out and intall a well of some sort, and reinforce the transom/tie it into the stringers.

Reese
05-14-2003, 10:50 AM
you would need two 200's to make any sense on that boat.

Looper and Triton are right...you need to test the strength of the transom and you'll need at least a 24" setback to clear the swim step or you'll have to cut the a splashwell.

If you want any kind of decent speed >50mph you'll need a lot more than a 200...If this was my boat I'd drop a big block chevy or at least one very large outboard.

Good luck.

Racemore
05-15-2003, 01:18 PM
My opinion,If you exsisting transom is good and you plug the hole and add a piece of 3/4 to it and it's 3''s thick it will hold the bracket which mounts around the hole anyway.The integrated platform makes the transom even stronger and Stainless marine has a bracket to clear it.In most cases depending on the amount of hook or rocker in the bottom the 200 will equal the performance of the single small block IO.You can adjust the center of gravity with the amount of setback.You will probably be 200+#'s lighter for power.:cool:

Looper
05-15-2003, 02:40 PM
The gimbal is underwater there on an I/O (except for maybe 4".) It would be a strange bracket to get enough height to clear the platform without cutting it out. That boat need an I/o back in it.

What is it, a chaparral?