PDA

View Full Version : how do you drill into fiberglass?????

skidoo29
05-13-2003, 02:07 PM
I did a search on here but couldn't find anything so if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

I need to drill a 1.75 dia hole in my boat, any advice or techniques to minimize cracking?

thanks

warren

Michael Martin
05-13-2003, 02:41 PM
I used a hole saw to do all mine. They come in a blister pack with 6 different sizes at lowes for 14.95

Good luck

Mike

Reese
05-13-2003, 02:55 PM
also helps minimize cracking.

skidoo29
05-13-2003, 03:00 PM
thanks guys!

Balzy
05-13-2003, 03:33 PM
backwards just enough to scratch through the gelcoat first. That will elimainate any chance of chipping. Then holesaw as usual.

EXSTREAM EH!
05-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Warrin tell me you did NOT drill through the bottom:o Hole saws come in several tooth styles. Get the finest one you can. tape all around where U are going to cut. center punch or drill a pilot hole.Check the backside and cut a way. when ur done champher ( bevel) the hole at the top and it should never crack. Do the same every time U make a hole for a screw to.

EXSTREAM EH! Gone:D

See u at Sean's Bring ur boat I want a ride;)

EXSTREAM EH!
05-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Balzy right Forgot to mention that:o
EXSTREAM EH! Gone:D

skidoo29
05-13-2003, 03:52 PM
Austin!

I wouldn't think of drilling thru the bottom, I am moving my gas fill cap to a different location and having my bilge come out the side where my gas fill was so I have to drill a new hole up top opposite my light socket, it will make it a hell of alot easier to fill up my boat. thanks for the tips, the boat should be ready by then I hope!

Balzy thanks for the tip I never thought of that

warren

Liqui-Fly
05-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Make sure you pre-drill a hole (as previously stated) before you use the hole saw. If the bit on the hole saw walks you get some ugly skid marks.

David

Balzy
05-13-2003, 06:57 PM
It's hard to drill the initial hole with the hole saw without clunking the hole saw into the boat when the small drill bit breaks through. Drill it with a regular bit first. I know what you mean with the filler on the side. Mr. Gimlet's HST has the filler in the side and it's a pain in the ass. He has to use a long hose on his jugs. Mine is in the top and it's a lot easier to fill.

CompKing
05-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Balzy
Mr. Gimlet's HST has the filler in the side and it's a pain in the ass. He has to use a long hose on his jugs. Mine is in the top and it's a lot easier to fill.

Mike that wasn't me the factory installed that and don't know why they did it like that:confused:

Balzy
05-13-2003, 11:45 PM
A lot of them are that way. I think Howard was snifing too many fumes in 89 and 90. In 91 he must have taken a walk outside for some fresh air.

Capt.Insane-o
05-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Somebody was sniffing something when thet laid my floor down though.:eek:

Boz
05-26-2003, 07:58 PM
and the filler is on top.

halveb
05-27-2003, 03:05 PM
Mines an 88 and has the filler on the top but they centered the damn thing. Makes filling with cans a real interesting experience. Still looking for the perfect can/funnel combination.

Balzy, talked with Sam today and I will be picking up the CMC this weekend, thanks for the heads up. Those units have the motor exposed like my old unit but I think (or at least hope) they are sealed much better. Looks like I'll need to lift my motor again soon, is the garagemahall available?? We could even cut my trailer up (I know that is bothering you :D). Janet has convinced Vicki she should attend more boating functions. Maybe she'll even come up for part of BTTW.