PDA

View Full Version : Can you guess what this is

Don Dieago
11-27-2018, 08:44 PM
Bought a motor today been sitting at lake sense 1988 its 81 70hp rude.
Had to pull carbs and intake/reeds before could even check compression and fire. 130 per.
Good to go forward.

dmillar
11-27-2018, 09:31 PM
I know. Dirt daubers!!!!!!! mud wasps!!!. they are a wasp we have in the south that build mud tunnels and stores bugs/spiders for a food source. I live in South Carolina and I see them all the time.

Don Dieago
11-28-2018, 07:08 AM
Yep dmillar you win the prize. Ive seen bad and just trash a engine, also seen them trash lift motors on docks but never this bad.but it has been sitting 30 years and by the water.

LakeFever
11-28-2018, 08:33 AM
Looks like an OG Craftsman screwdriver to me with some mud in a container

Don Dieago
11-28-2018, 09:03 AM
First pict is carbs face plate and second is airbox cover Dirt dobbers filled it up i laid motor carbs down and washed then removed airbox carbs and intake then spun engine fogging heck out of crank while waiting for parts to come in.
the nest dissolved to mud after wet. Not sure people up north have them. They are a wasp that gets into everything they make nest out off mud and sand They kill spiders and stuff them in nest in a paralyzed state then lay eggs and seal. they get all in outboards cover then people crank up haul across lake nest fall apart and bye bye pistons and cylinders

Don Dieago
11-28-2018, 09:06 AM

rochelle howell
11-29-2018, 06:40 PM
I hate those m-ther f-ckers!!!! There's a dark spot in my soul that experiences unbelievable joy when I smack 'em down with the electric fly swatter......SNAP!!!! Drop whatever I'm doing, hunt them down and let them have it!
I can't count how many threaded bolt holes I've had to clean out because of these pests.
Shame, they're actually pretty docile compared to yellow jackets and paper wasps.

stewmax
12-09-2018, 10:12 AM
I had the same here in Fl, But with wild Bee's. A customer brought his boat to me say it would not start. He was a snow bird so it sat down here when he was up north for the summer. So the bee's moved in. There was comb all thru the cowl,air box mid section,and the block. I had to pull the power head , lower unit,mid and adapter plates to clean out the comb. I have lived in Florida all my life . Never have I seen anyting like this.

Dave S
12-11-2018, 05:37 AM
Drove Me Crazzzy....which is easy..... 4stroke Merc/Yammi..... Carbs flooding.... new neeed/seat... $125/500..... pull carbs off 10 times.... set floats Blla Blla.......no progress...... the vent dump had a mudd nest.... presing the float bolwwes to over flow