PDA

View Full Version : Trying to resue old gelcoat.

Georgia Boy
05-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Ok, guys I am fed up with painting my boat with automotive paint and having to fix the chips and scratches, Plus I never can seem to get a satisfactory job out of it. top looks good, bottomlooks like crap or vice/versa. anyway I am going to gelcoat after this summer and be finished with it hopefully for a long time, here is my question, my boat was originally red with silver flake in it. which is still there under the auto paint, could you possibly strip and wet sand the paint off, back down to the original red/silver gel, and then spray a good thick coat of clear gel over the original and buff to a good shine, or would it be best to just sand everything down again and start from scratch on the gel, the top has some nicks and nocks on it that were filled with bondo so I know on it I will have to wet sand it and start from scratch but the bottom is in great shape except for the paint covering it. also can i spray gel over bodo or should I sand the bondo out and use a different filler, anything you guys can tell me is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.