PDA

View Full Version : faster gelcoat?

JamesE
05-09-2003, 08:00 AM
Okay, first off it has been a while since I've posted and it nice to be back!
Now to get to the point...We have this graghite powder at work ,that we sell to sailboat nuts, to add to epoxy resin to make the running surface of their hulls have less friction. Do you all think this could be added to gelcoat to get the same effect? It states on the instructions that it should be added to the epoxy to total 10% by volume. Easter Sunday, I hit some piece of floating debris that had metal stuck in it and it knock a pinhole in my hull and chipped the hell out of the pad. Neither my brother or I ever felt the impact, but looking at how far aft the the intial impact was, I must I been running real hard when I ran it over.
I was thinking that if this graphite powder can be added to gelcoat, that I would go ahead and coat the last couple feet of the pad with this stuff to reduce friction. I am not looking for miracles, but for the price of $4.00, it might be worth it.What do yall think?

sho305
05-20-2003, 11:57 PM
For $4 I would try it, but I don't know. Some say smooth gel, but most here say sand it. I sprayed mine with VC perf epoxy with teflon in it. Teflon is supposed to help too. I left it all dull so far, as I am going to pad it anyway. Don't know if it worked as I could not run it without a transom when I got it;)

I'm guessing things are not the same with a speed boat and sail. Sailboat can't get any air under the hull, even the bubbles speed might have at only 40mph. When the water comes out the back it is white with air on a speedboat. The air reduces the friction of the water against the hull flowing by. Can't see how it could hurt to try it though, that is one reason I used the teflon on mine.

Bob T
05-21-2003, 12:38 AM
Best to sand with 400 grit.Small scratches break the surface tension.Smoother is not better!Put water between two pieces of glass and try to seperate them.Same thing between water and your hull.I'veTried wax ,'VC speed'etc.Nothing works like a little sand paper.BT

bulldogdaddy
05-21-2003, 02:47 PM
yep a rougher surface will make it faster. thats why they have the steps in boats now. helps stop the friction between the water and hull. have heard of a cross channel that supposed to be in a few boats now. they have the same design in surfboards to make them faster.

sho305
05-21-2003, 09:57 PM
Was looking at surf boards one day...where did you see the cross channel? I'll have to check that out.:)