PDA

View Full Version : Paint vs. Gel Coat

KOMotion
05-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Looking to bring back the life to the bottom of an old boat, paint vs. gel coat. This will be our first attempt at spraying gel coat.

-Will standard automotive paint guns work with gel coat? Or what mods are required (Binks, pressure pot, orifice size, etc)?

-What is the best way to prep and spray the gel coat?

-What product(s) do we use to cover exposed glass fibers and weave before spraying the gel coat (web sites)?

-How do you minimize the orange peel and fish-eyes that require secondary sanding to remove?

-If sparying gel coat is out of the question what paints/brands work best on fiberglass?

Your input is appreciated.

vector mike
05-07-2003, 05:18 PM
If you are just spraying one color then AwlGrip is the one to use. It is the most durable paint available. I used base coat clear coat on mine because I put stripes on mine and wanted an even top coat.

sho305
05-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Check out B Macs transom post. He used some clear stuff that seemed to work well for gelcoat. You will want to use a bottom paint or gelcoat if you leave your boat in the water for a while at a time. I used the VC Performance Epoxy bottom paint, comes in white and it was not bad. Comes out dull but sands and buffs easy. Did a transom with it in bayliner transom post.

MERCMAN
05-10-2003, 12:14 AM
imron is the way to go to clear gel , if your spraying gel for the first time you really need to contact someone that knows in your area. i knew a guy that sprayed gel on a mirage and did everything by the book and it never hardened , thay had to buy a 55 gal drum of acetone to get it off and it took a week to do it! gel will spray out of an auto gun fine , but you have to add the right ingredients to do it , alot of buffing and sanding too! you have to sand three times with diffrent grits of paper , the third sanding is vigorous wet sanding , its alot of work , awlgrip is the way to go if your not up to all the labor , if you are GO FOR IT!

Racemore
05-11-2003, 12:04 AM
gelcoat vs paint, both require work for a good finish.Prep for paint is done first.If perfection is sought you will wetsand and buff for showboy finish.With gel prep is a rougher suface and requires sanding,wet sanding and buffing.gelcoat is more durable.There are additives that make gelcoat flow better with less orange peel and easier sanding but will still need wetsand and buff for perfect finish.It is easier to tell you by phone the products and methods to make gelcoating easier that typing.If I can assist you feel free to call. Lonnie 904-813-8201 nextel EST zone.:cool: