PDA

View Full Version : Motor set up

Shane c
06-16-2018, 12:50 PM
I am not sure what direction I should go with my motor I had it all set up pretty good I run a Tempist 25 on a 175 magnum 1996 motor is set at about 3 1/4 from pad that was before it was rebuilt. I bored is .40 over and put reads in it know I am reach my Rpm with 1/4 throttle left should I look at props or just lower motor.

mjw930
06-16-2018, 01:04 PM
If you like the way it handles and it gets enough water at that height then start adding prop pitch to compensate for the new found power.

nitro_rat
06-16-2018, 01:08 PM
If you like the way it handles and it gets enough water at that height then start adding prop pitch to compensate for the new found power.

:iagree:

Shane c
06-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Yea it get out of the hole like nothing I have ever felt I took my boy and his buddy fishing there both big boys 259 plus each one and I am 190 live wells full of fish and water all of our gear ice chest full and and it still jumps write up on pad. It’s running about 55 mph at 5500 rpm it 60 mph at 5650 rpm, there is 18 hrs on the rebuild and I no it’s built well and every body saying just run is at 5800 but I no motors and running at that rpm all the time it will have a short life

Shane c
06-16-2018, 02:24 PM
What about props what is any one thought between tempest or furry I get mixed opinions on that topic seams like either you like one or the other

nitro_rat
06-16-2018, 02:41 PM
I no motors and running at that rpm all the time it will have a short life

Lugging at too low an RPM will do more damage than over-revving. My ‘79 175 probably has more hours on it over 6500 than your motor had total before the rebuild. If you regularly fish with 700lbs of passengers + livewells, gear,etc. I would stick with the prop you have or maybe even drop a pitch to get the revs up...

mjw930
06-16-2018, 03:47 PM
I always prop to just under redline @ WOT but that’s on bigger boats where a passenger or two doesn’t have that much effect. On a lighter rig I think you really need at least 2 props, one for lite load and one for heavy. Put on the right prop based on that day’s load.

Remember, just because you can hit redline @ WOT doesn’t mean you have to run that fast, it’s a throttle not a toggle switch. I don’t know of anyone who recommends using too much pitch to achieve a prop limited RPM, that just wastes fuel and puts undue stress on the motor.