PDA

View Full Version : 22 velocity. Setback. Pros and cons.

30velocity
05-18-2018, 11:32 AM
I would like to know pros and cons of diffrent setbacks on a 22 velocity? I am thinking between 6 and 8 inch setback?. Also Motor height?. Going to make transom to a 25 inch but could I run a 20 motor with setback? Maybe mounting jack plate a little lower to compensate for the 25 inch transom ? Going to 25 inch transom so I don't get the water splashing over transom.. knowledgeable input would be great.... thanks. Going with 2.5 Mercury to start. Then maybe a 3ltr as when I can afford it. Thanks again

Mark Poole ModVP
05-19-2018, 02:27 AM
Any of those boats, the 22 and the 26 handle better with the engine set back. How much? I can tell you that one of the best running 26 (26 is just a 22 extended 4 feet and with higher sides) had a custom hydraulic set back that was about 18". Around 1995 the 22 mold was modified to move the step about 3 inches more forward.

I don't care what anyone says about stepped transoms. It is not the same as moving the engines back from the transom with setbacks. Virtually any outboard boat has improved handling and performance from setback.

Another thing about these boats, move as much weight aft as you can. If you have dual batteries don't put them under the seat, put them against the transom. The boat will run faster.